AniNate

Wonder | Stephen Chbosky | 11/17/17 | J Tremblay, J Roberts, O Wilson

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

This was on MovieTickets earlier with 7% and is looking headed for very solid reviews overall. Lionsgate's choice to move this from April to November is looking more and more like a great decision, people lap up movies like this at this time of year.

y'all have been ignoring how BIG this is among kids this generation. Elementary school English classes legit did whole curriculums out of this book. It spent 36 straight weeks at the #1 NYT bestselling list for middle school books, and has frequently returned to the top of that list since falling off of it. It's a huge WOM hit among teachers, parents, and kids. Honestly, I can see this playing gangbusters through the holidays. Whatever it makes this weekend, expect a 3.5x multiplier at the very least.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Blankments said:

y'all have been ignoring how BIG this is among kids this generation. Elementary school English classes legit did whole curriculums out of this book. It spent 36 straight weeks at the #1 NYT bestselling list for middle school books, and has frequently returned to the top of that list since falling off of it. It's a huge WOM hit among teachers, parents, and kids. Honestly, I can see this playing gangbusters through the holidays. Whatever it makes this weekend, expect a 3.5x multiplier at the very least.

How much are you predicting? I’m starting to board the 20m+ train.

• Like 1

Just now, spaghetti! said:

How much are you predicting? I’m starting to board the 20m+ train.

24M OW

120M DOM

Tremblay gets nominated at the Globes at least for Best Actor.

All three of these should happen. If it was a better distributor than Lionsgate, I'd say they're all locked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

24M OW

120M DOM

Tremblay gets nominated at the Globes at least for Best Actor.

All three of these should happen. If it was a better distributor than Lionsgate, I'd say they're all locked.

I really hope this is the case.  I'm betting this will have good legs, especially given the popularity of the book and the absence of a lot of family competition through the holiday season (the Star looks like it'll be pretty low and has a premise similar to a lot of the TV holiday fare that plays every year, Coco has good reviews but even if it makes a lot, I don't think it'll be enough to hold over family audiences the entire season and Ferdinand... not sure... the later trailers aren't very good and I haven't been hearing a lot of buzz about it).  I think Wonder will leg it out for a while, but I'm really hoping for a 20M+ OW.  It might get a boost from JL overrun.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It says a lot when I'm more excited to see the box office results of this than Justice League

I hate the fact this comes out the same weekend as Justice League. Not because I expect it to do bad or anything, but it'll come out during one of the most toxic weekend threads of the year, and I'd rather people discuss and praise a sleeper hit rather than seeing endless analysis on whether a $130M OW is "disappointing" or not.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I hate the fact this comes out the same weekend as Justice League. Not because I expect it to do bad or anything, but it'll come out during one of the most toxic weekend threads of the year, and I'd rather people discuss and praise a sleeper hit rather than seeing endless analysis on whether a $130M OW is "disappointing" or not.

At least when it increases next weekend, people will talk about that

• Like 1