Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- TOP 25 of 2007! | Calculations Done. Reveal whenever Tele finds the time.

BOT Best of the Year!  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which year shall we do?

This poll is closed to new votes

2007, it was a much better year for film imo and I saw a lot of fantastic movies from that year recently, though couldn't you do both? and reveal them in one list simultaneously? 

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Zodiac
4. Sunshine
5. [Rec]
6. There Will Be Blood
7. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
8. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
9. Trick 'r Treat
10. The Bourne Ultimatum
11. Michael Clayton
12. The Mist
13. The Host
14. Grindhouse
15. American Gangster
16. Into the Wild
17. 28 Weeks Later
18. Superbad
19. The Poughkeepsie Tapes
20. Timecrimes
21. The Orphanage
22. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
23. Disturbia
24. Gone Baby Gone
25. 300

• Like 1

The nice thing about doing an older year is we can have an agreed-upon criteria for which movies qualify for that year, and it'll be far easier for people to rank because they'll probably have seen them, regardless. No worrying about, oops, that November movie in the US doesn't come out until July in your country!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

The nice thing about doing an older year is we can have an agreed-upon criteria for which movies qualify for that year, and it'll be far easier for people to rank because they'll probably have seen them, regardless. No worrying about, oops, that November movie in the US doesn't come out until July in your country!

Well now there are the films that had a festival premiere in 2006 but didn't come out in the US until 2007. The biggest example is 300 which IMDb still lists as a 2006 movie because it premiered in December at the butt-numb-a-thon. Away from Her is another one that springs to mind (premiered in Toronto in 2006, didn't have a commercial release until May 2007) although I don't think enough people here saw it for it to find a spot on the eventual list. But still. 

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Not sure if it would be included in this, but I like the idea of continuously revisiting what the box office was like this weekend 10 years ago.

Coming up this weekend: the 10th anniversary of The Number 23 (aka the film that ended Joel Schumacher's tenure as a commercial director).

I saw that crap in theaters. Yikes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Damn, I forgot about US release dates being the arbiter.  My #1 was going to be Sword of A Stranger which came out in 2007 in Japan but not in the US until 2009 :sadno:

Also, just checked and Les Chansons d'amour (Love Songs) didn't get a US limited release until 2008.  Damn

What happens with foreign films that never got a US release date but went straight to video or only ever got a festival release?  Not eligible at all?

Edited by TalismanRing

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Damn, I forgot about US release dates being the arbiter.  My #1 was going to be Sword of A Stranger which came out in 2007 in Japan but not in the US until 2009 :sadno:

Also, just checked and Les Chansons d'amour (Love Songs) didn't get a US limited release until 2008.  Damn

What happens with foreign films that never got a US release date but went straight to video or only ever got a festival release?  Not eligible at all?

If they came out on video in 2007 they're eligible. Festival releases aren't, though.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Goffe said:

@Jake Gittes @CoolioD1 any fyc suggestions? i'm not comfortable with how mainstream my list looks.

Shotgun Stories, Margot at the Wedding, Brand Upon the Brain!, Bug. No idea if you'd like any of them of course.

@Telemachos Is Black Book eligible if it wasn't commercially released in the States until April 2007, but was submitted for a foreign language Oscar to the February 2007 awards? See also The Lives of Others which was also released in theaters in February 2007 but won the Oscar at the same ceremony which was honoring the best films of 2006. 

• Like 1