Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- TOP 25 of 2007! | Calculations Done. Reveal whenever Tele finds the time.

BOT Best of the Year!  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which year shall we do?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

FYC, but also checking eligibility, @Telemachos

MV5BNDI4MGEwZDAtZDg0Yy00MjFhLTg1MjctODdm

It hit the festival circuit in 2006 and popped up in a number of them, but didn't have its actual release until June of 2007. Good?

As long as it didn't play publicly (outside of a festival) in 2006. 

edit: confirmed, it's 2007. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

As long as it didn't play publicly (outside of a festival) in 2006. 

edit: confirmed, it's 2007. 

Fucking awesome.

If y'all haven't seen it yet, go watch it now. Paprika is the amazing, final film that Satoshi Kon completed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

i will try to see these before march 9

Reveal hidden contents

Isn't In Bruges from 2008?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

DEWEY COX (which everyone should watch for the list) made sure i could never take a musician biopic seriously ever again. a lot of what that film takes the piss out of is definitely in la vie en rose. in fact near a decade later and there's still oscar bait going by that playbook dewey cox mercilessly took the piss out of. not just musician movies, hacksaw ridge is full of that stuff too.

I don't care for about 98% of mainstream American comedy from the rise of Apatow onwards, but Walk Hard is the biggest exception. I assume it's the combination of the period sets and costumes and the fact that they were spoofing a very specific type of movie and had to save some time for the musical numbers that forced them to rely on an actual comedy script (!) with strong jokes in it (!!!) instead of just endless scenes of people standing around and riffing, and thank fucking god for that. Great music, great central performance, and it actually looks like it had a budget, too.

• Like 2

Black Book is absolutely essential and Bug is another one I'd recommend wholeheartedly. An all-timer of a performance from Ashley Judd opposite Michael Shannon already being great at his whole Michael Shannon thing a couple of years before his Revolutionary Road breakout. 

• Like 1

2007 is before the time I got into watching movies, so I have only seen handful from then including trash like Transformers and the third Pirates that would never make my list, so I am going to have to watch a lot before submitting a list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We should probably just crown The Dark Knight now a year in advance of the poll for next year. Because reasons.

Oh, I don't know. There might be a movie or two ahead of it on my list, for example. 

3 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

do reissue movies count?

Nope.