Alli

WEEKEND THREAD! FRI #s: Lego: 8M: 50SD: 6.6M: GW: 5.8: JW2: 4.1 (pg 8)

Giant VFX heavy set pieces movies : B/7,5 minimum.

Cheap as hell "auteur, look how fancy & deep & serious & violent I am with my subtle(not) subtext and social commentary" movies : C Maximum, B- when it s tolerable.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I dunno, I think they navigated some tough waters well (in terms of finding theaters during a stretch with many movies with a higher profile.) Full credit to them. 

They found 2200 theaters for Gold. They are just horrible. They make LGF and Paramount seem good in comparison. 

Just now, Telemachos said:

I dunno, I think they navigated some tough waters well (in terms of finding theaters during a stretch with many movies with a higher profile.) Full credit to them. 

It was doing only okay in limited release until it went wider and buzz started to catch on for it. Meanwhile, poor The Founder got thrown under the bus and has been having good holds, indicating it likely would've done very well with older audiences (and likely would've nabbed Keaton a nomination) had they actually cared about it.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Giant VFX heavy set pieces movies : B/7,5 minimum.

Cheap as hell "auteur, look how fancy & deep & serious & violent I am with my subtle(not) subtext and social commentary" movies : C Maximum, B- when it s tolerable.

:wintf:

• Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

lmao i knew you were doing a bad job pretending you like darren aronofksy in the thread for that JLaw movie he's doing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It was doing only okay in limited release until it went wider and buzz started to catch on for it. Meanwhile, poor The Founder got thrown under the bus and has been having good holds, indicating it likely would've done very well with older audiences (and likely would've nabbed Keaton a nomination) had they actually cared about it.

What does THE FOUNDER matter when we're talking about LION? They don't have the resources to mount a big Oscar campaign for multiple movies, so once LION picked up a little steam, it was the obvious choice. 

Just now, Telemachos said:

What does THE FOUNDER matter when we're talking about LION? They don't have the resources to mount a big Oscar campaign for multiple movies, so once LION picked up a little steam, it was the obvious choice. 

My point was that The Founder would've done well had it not been blatantly sabotaged by Weinstein. It's no secret that they are on the verge of going broke, hence why Lion has done well in spite of their misfortunes thanks to word-of-mouth on top of awards buzz.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

My point was that The Founder would've done well had it not been blatantly sabotaged by Weinstein. It's no secret that they are on the verge of going broke, hence why Lion has done well in spite of their misfortunes thanks to word-of-mouth on top of awards buzz.

I don't think you can make that automatic assumption about THE FOUNDER. Regardless, they've handled LION well.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think you can make that automatic assumption about THE FOUNDER. Regardless, they've handled LION well.

No they didn't, wtf lmao. Stop. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself man. They gave 2200 theaters to Gold instead of expanding Lion (that was the weekend after noms came out) or giving those same theaters a week before to Founder.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

No they didn't, wtf lmao. Stop. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself man. They gave 2200 theaters to Gold instead of expanding Lion (that was the weekend after noms came out) or giving those same theaters a week before to Founder.

Isn't it obvious? Tele works for Harvey Scissorhands now.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Lion's done $70m on a $12m budget and given TWC another award contender. I think they've been given a line of credit by Opus Bank so they're still operating though I can't imagine they can afford to solely fund bigger projects anymore