Alli

WEEKEND THREAD! FRI #s: Lego: 8M: 50SD: 6.6M: GW: 5.8: JW2: 4.1 (pg 8)

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'll take Illumination over crappy animation from Lionsgate, TWC, Open Road etc any day

TBF they don't make these, they just release them.

It sucks though that these rock bottom animated movies manage to get enormously wider distribution that the quality animation distributed by GKids. 

These numbers are just fucking sad for the high quality of films they release

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=gkids.htm

• Like 1

Just got back from Sing, just like Secret Life of Pets: the trailer was better than the full film. Illumination should make shorts.

International audiences are helping Rings to save face, $66m worldwide so far on a $25m budget. I know it's not near the level of the first two films, but it'll help prevent any loss.

Holdovers lead, while new releases bleed on so-so President's Day weekend.

Lego Batman and Fifty Shades Darker still hold onto the top two spots, while the three new releases didn't make as much noise. 

Overall for the 3-day portion the top 12 was at $136.5 million which is down 47% from the 3-day portion last year when Deadpool was breaking records.

The Lego Batman Movie led the weekend with an estimated $34.2 million with a drop around 35% which is steeper than The Lego Movie's drop(27%) 3 years ago,and should make around $190 million domestic. 

Fifty Shades Darker was able to make it on the 2nd spot again,and had a smaller drop than predecessor which dropped around 73% 2 years ago, and Darker had a much better drop around 55%. While it will take a dive from its predecessor, Fifty Shades should spank its way to around $110-$115 million domestic.

Out of all of the new releases, The Great Wall led out of all them but wasn't a stomping start either with an estimated $18 million, which is so-so for a Matt Damon film but not great for its $150 million price-tag(without P&A costs) even with overseas, The Great Wall isn't amazing or good. Look The Great Wall to collapse around $40 million. 

John Wick:Chapter 2 had a decent hold around 45-46% which is on-par with its predecessor's drop 3 years ago, and should shoot it up above $80 million domestic.

As it was expected to be the top new release this weekend, Fist Fight didn't really make a knockout this weekend with an estimated $12 million which is Ice Cube's lowest grossing debut(adjusting inflation) since the original Friday and All About The Benjamins which both had slightly better attendance. It is also Charlie Day's lowest grossing debut in a lead as well. With mixed word of mouth, and how R-rated comedies typically do around the 1st quarter of the year, look for Fist Fight to punch its way around $30 million domestic.

Hidden Figures, Split, and La La Land all had strong holds and should make over $140-$150 million each. 

A Dog's Purpose is still strong and should make around $55-$60 million domestic.

The last other big main new release, horror film A Cure For Wellness bombed with an estimated $4.2 million which is well below other past horror films, and with lackluster word of mouth by audiences and critics alike, look for A Cure For Wellness to end its run under $10 million domestic.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to end up buying a ticket for Rock Dog (and The Shack) :sarah:

If you are part of Regal Club, apparently I got auto-enrolled into some Lionsgate thing since I watched JW2 in Regal (and yes, I plan to watch Power Rangers).  Basically, if you watch all four, you get digital copies of the movies when they come out (I want JW2...) along with extra bonus points (and a free popcorn after your 3rd movie).  So, IF i purchase tickets on a Tuesday matinee for the other 2 ($5)...I'm looking at $10 for Digital Copies of all four (or basically just JW2...and hopefully Rangers is good).  Maybe I can sell the codes for the other 2 on ebay or something.

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Just a question; what would be a bold yet reasonable prediction for Boss Baby? I am seeing this breaking out and I want to make a club.

Home numbers.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Just a question; what would be a bold yet reasonable prediction for Boss Baby? I am seeing this breaking out and I want to make a club.

$150M domestic seems bold but reasonable.