Alli

WEEKEND THREAD! FRI #s: Lego: 8M: 50SD: 6.6M: GW: 5.8: JW2: 4.1 (pg 8)

Looking on Mojo's home page, I love how their top of 2017 worldwide has the 1-5 spots completely dominated by Asian markets. Your Name was huge in China and Japan, Journey to the West and Kung Fu Yoga are Chinese productions, while Great Wall is a Chinese co-production, and Xxx is making the bulk of its bank in China.

Spoiler

My guess for where the projections will wind up

1. LEGO Batman: $35.5 million/$43 million ($107 million) 
  2. Fist Fight: $19.5 million/$23 million 
  3. John Wick Chapter Two: $19 million/$22.5 million ($64 million) 
  4. Fifty Shades Darker: $18 million/$21.5 million ($90 million) 
  5. The Great Wall: $16.5 million/$19 million 
  6. Hidden Figures: $6.5 million/$7.75 million ($143 million) 
  7. A Cure for Wellness: $6 million/$7 million 
  8. Split: $5.5 million/$6.5 million ($123 million) 
  9. A Dog's Purpose: $5 million/$6 million ($51 million) 
  10. Lion: $4.5 million/$5.5 million ($37 million) 
  11. La La Land: $4 million/$4.75 million ($133 million) 
  12. Rings: $2 million/$2.5 million ($26 million) 

5 hours ago, elcaballero said:

I'm curious about this as well. I know local productions do keep around 50% of box office, but I'm not sure how the Chinese government views Legendary.

@Gavin Feng Any idea?

Co-production is been seen as local production. Kung Fu Panda 3 and TGW is co-productions so distributors can get 43% of box office. But after paying taxes and National Special Funds, they can get 33% of box office. Import films can get 25% of box office and they don’t need to pay for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattW said:

Is there a thread about the box office mojo survey, anyone concerned that they might do something bad to the site?

No but it's been talked about in the classic conversation thread yeah. For me those questions were pretty loaded and seem to indicate they're about to either merge BOM into the IMDB site itself or/and put most of its information as IMDBPro members only content.

Both of these things will suck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

No but it's been talked about in the classic conversation thread yeah. For me those questions were pretty loaded and seem to indicate they're about to either merge BOM into the IMDB site itself or/and put most of its information as IMDBPro members only content.

Yeah, those are my fears as well

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Indeed, the questions are so hilariously loaded in favour of folding the site, reintroducing the paywall to an even more restrictive level than when it was previously in place, or some other cutback. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Even if it makes $300-350m WW, it's still going to lose money with the $150m budget. 

Sure, it'll lose money initially.  And the budget is way too high but it's not an outright bomb like some make it out to be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Judging by the numbers and this thread all movie theaters are deemed closed until March 2nd at 7PM. 

It would help if we didn't have such garbage projections. I am highly interested in TGW #'s

• Like 2

Just now, MrPink said:

It would help if we didn't have such garbage projections. I am highly interested in TGW #'s

Agreed, I also need to know how the holdovers hold (especially LB)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Looking on Mojo's home page, I love how their top of 2017 worldwide has the 1-5 spots completely dominated by Asian markets. Your Name was huge in China and Japan, Journey to the West and Kung Fu Yoga are Chinese productions, while Great Wall is a Chinese co-production, and Xxx is making the bulk of its bank in China.

Last year started off the same way. Of course, annual box office has a different pattern in China, where Chinese New Year is the big holiday period. Some of their biggest films release now, while Hollywood uses Jan/Feb as an awards film spotlight and dumping ground (outside of your odd Deadpool or Lego movie). 

EDIT: Also, BOM goes by Domestic release dates, so you get stuff like Your Name on the 2017 chart, even though it will have made over 90% of its worldwide total in 2016. 

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It seems The Great Wall has created a barrier of sorts and we are currently being deprived of numbers :(