CJohn

Friday Numbers (The Vow: 15.4M; Safe House: 13.8M; Star Wars 3D: 8.7M; Journey 2: 6.6M)

Pretty crazy weekend. I had started to buy into the hype for The Vow earlier this week, but I never thought Safe House would break out this much too. There aren't many stars that can open a film better than Denzel. Smith, and Cruise probably, and that might be about it. Also nice job for Journey 2 if it's really on track for 20m+. Considering it's an awful looking sequel to a movie that no one really cared about in the first place that's really a pretty decent performance. Of course given the budget it's not exactly a hit yet, but still it joins the long line of 2012 movies that have done better than I thought. Hope that streak continues for a long time.

Updated Friday estimates from Nikki:Vow - $15MSafe House - $14MTPM - $9MJourney 2 - $6.5M (<-- that's some increase from earlier estimates)Chronicle - $3.6MWiB - $3.1MGrey - $1.3MBig Miracle - $952KDescendants - $941KRed Tails - $746K

Good Lord Nikki.
  • Like 1

Good Lord Nikki.

:lol: :lol: :lol:I love that woman. I hope they make a film about her some day. Somebody in the box office community should make it. I can picture her in her apartment swearing up a storm on the phone with all the studio execs, busting out her calculator, screwing up her math left and right and just saying, "fuck it- these are the numbers, somebody get me a cocktail!"
  • Like 1

Who believed in 100m for the vow? I most certainly did. Midnights convinced me this thing was going to shoot to the stars. I'm willing to be that od goes up too and it'll end well over 40m for the weekend.

I saw it coming. Girls at my college were swooning over it and it had solid buzz going for awhile.Shame they couldn't make a film that crossed demographics, though. There's huge potential in the premise for a truly heartwrenching romance that doesn't rely on chick flick cliches. Edited by tribefan695

The Vow's success isn't to suprising, it offers a different twist on the traditional love story which is something audiences haven't had in a while and craving even further on this particular weekend.Safe house is probably the most confusing of the weekend, it had a decent trailer but nothing really unique or special. This sort of film succeeding in 2012 would have miserably failed or at the least disappointed just 6months ago.

SW down to $9M. It seems afternoon shows were packed more than normal due to the upfront demand.While the situation seems completely opposite for Journey 2. Afternoon shows must be empty while evening ones picked up pace.

The Vow's success isn't to suprising, it offers a different twist on the traditional love story which is something audiences haven't had in a while and craving even further on this particular weekend.Safe house is probably the most confusing of the weekend, it had a decent trailer but nothing really unique or special. This sort of film succeeding in 2012 would have miserably failed or at the least disappointed just 6months ago.

Could the SB spot have done the trick?

Updated Friday estimates from Nikki:Vow - $15MSafe House - $14MTPM - $9MJourney 2 - $6.5M (<-- that's some increase from earlier estimates)Chronicle - $3.6MWiB - $3.1MGrey - $1.3MBig Miracle - $952KDescendants - $941KRed Tails - $746K

This will mean 4* 20 mill $ grossers.. Never happend before outside Xmas