franfar

The Long Shot | May 3 2019 | Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen | Directed by Jonathan Levine

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

Just noticed the date change. That's gotta be a sign of confidence; a move from a spot far away from Avengers, to a spot extremely close to Avengers. That's significant.

Counterprogramming a la Overboard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Is this a rom-com? From the first looks, it looks like one.

It is a "dark comedy" according to the very first post.

Great cast by the way:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a "dark comedy" according to the very first post.

Great cast by the way:

Charlize Theron said the movie was not her play zone,  implying it would be less dark than her past "comedies" like Young Adult.

“If anybody knows me from any kind of comedy, it’s probably the darker comedies that I’ve done that are maybe not considered comedies to a lot of people, that maybe are just horror movies,” the actress jokes of films like Young Adult. “It’s not my play zone,” she adds. “I explored a little bit, but not to the level of working next to Seth Rogen and trying to keep up with that.”

Rogen clarifies it’s more of a love story similar to the style of Knocked Up that “takes place in another universe than our actual world.”

“We wanted to make a movie that acknowledged the political realities we all live in without trying to make too heavy-handed directives,” Rogen explains, “and at the same time make something that’s highly enjoyable and highly entertaining that appeals to as wide an audience as anything I’ve made.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look, I was utterly charmed by the trailer. Yes, it was full of stuff we have seen a million times before (starting with the whole "bumbling, chubby dude gets it on with hot woman" thing), but they somehow make it work (at least in the trailer).

Now...is this really a dark comedy? Because that trailer made it look like a typical rom com that Julie Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Kate Hudson, and Jennifer Lopez would do in their romcom hey day.

If this is indeed a dark comedy but the trailers are selling it as if it were a sunny, breezy romcom, it might not help the box office beyond opening weekend.