John Marston

Batman (1989)

So, I think of this movie every third or fourth time I log in to these forums, since this movie is my answer to the question of which movie's box office I followed first. :D I was 11 or so when it came out, but the hype was SO OVERWHELMING it felt like there was no way to not be interested in how it wound up doing. My dad worked in NYC back then, and was catching a cab to get the train home early for us to see it when it opened, and the cab driver greeted him with, "Welcome to Gotham." They talked about the movie for the whole ride. Also, my family is absolutely a Prince family, so that was a wrap, lol. We all loved it, and eventually, when we got it on VHS, my brother and sister would literally watch it every. single. day. During the summer, they claimed to have watched it 8 times in one day at some point. The cassette tape for the soundtrack got worn the hell out. This movie was no joke.

Of course, back then, by "following its box office," I mainly mean remembering checking the weekend Top 5 and Top 10 list in USA Today and Entertainment Weekly (I think?). Maybe EW was for Jurassic Park. By the time ID4 rolled around, my brother was taping Entertainment Tonight on Mondays to get the big box office wrap-up stories. Same for Phantom Menace. The first one I really remember making a dent in my mind that was online tracking was Spiderman. I knew about Mojo before that, but after, I was following box office closely on line and reading the forums (even if I don't often post ;)). My brother called me, and I remember saying to him that as far as I was concerned the Spiderman numbers meant that we should both be able to look out our respective windows and just see people leaving their homes and jobs and RUNNING to the theater. Lololol. Ah, memories.

• Like 4

On 3/19/2017 at 5:27 AM, excel1 said:

Batman's opening weekend is the closest thing to maximum capacity we have ever seen. It increased 30% over the previous weekend, which was only 1 week old! That would be like TFA opened to $275m.

Batman was an enormous media monster. There are tons of old highlights from spring and summer 1989 with MTV, Entertainment Tonight, etc. In terms of free media buzz, this could be top dog. THE DARK KNIGHT received similar attention, but only because of Ledgers's death.

LOL, what a bulls**t. The Dark Knight was already a monster before the Heath Ledger's death - it was only an additional +boost to TDK's huge hype. I thought this ridiculous statement is no longer "popular" among movie fans, but I see even 10 years later it's still valid.

:whosad:

On 2/24/2017 at 9:55 PM, John Marston said:

here's the only trailer that released for the movie and the one people paid for other movies just so they can see this trailer. 

it's a pretty bad trailer honestly. Just a bunch of randomly edited clips

It's not the only trailer, it's the "main trailer", the final version. First teaser trailer has different beginning and ending:

And agree, it's not a good trailer, but the visuals were outstanding, they build the hype (great Gotham, great Batman suit, great Joker).

I love this film, Batman is one of my childhood favorites movies (still 9/10 <3), it was one of the record-breaking box office phenomenon and a big step in box office history. Here are few rare B.O. vintage Variety fragments about Batman:

http://www.1989batman.com/2015/04/vintage-newspaper-clipping-variety.html

imageproxy.php?img=&key=39d6a78ff9285a6ehttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/sallah4life/batman/variety/varietysmall18_zpshslrnehb.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=39d6a78ff9285a6ehttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/sallah4life/batman/variety/varietysmall17_zpslhzwxfye.jpg

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1

I was so sure Last Crusade would win the year.  I had a friend who was a massive comic book nerd who tried to tell me that this was the film that millions had been begging for.  He told me Batman would break records.  I didn't believe him.  I ate a lot of humble pie that summer.  

• Like 5

I could understand why this film was such a big deal but I don't think it really holds up compared to a lot of modern comic book movies.

I actually never seen this movie until this year, I will check out Batman forever next.  

15 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I could understand why this film was such a big deal but I don't think it really holds up compared to a lot of modern comic book movies.

Batman >>> Black Panther

Argue with that :P 

Also, You've never seen this movie until this year?!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Juby said:

Batman >>> Black Panther

Argue with that :P 

Also, You've never seen this movie until this year?!

giphy.gif

I think Jack Nicholson Joker is what makes this film stand out to me, it is a great performance. Micheal Keaton to me seems like Christian Bale in TDK and like a secondary character. 

Yeah, I actually literally gone over the top 600 hits on box office mojo and looking to see what all-time hits I have not seen.

So Far its been Sixth Sense, Aladin, Sound of Music, Rambo 2 3, Beverly Hills Cop. 

5 minutes ago, Juby said:

Watch Rambo 2, trust me. It's a little bit forgotten, great piece of action picture and one of the most "fun" R-rated 80s film. :)

I seen that one, I prefer the original, its quite a dark film :)

14 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The most anticipated non sequel of all time no doubt 

No doubt ?

Footage of Gone with the Wind premiere are quire ridiculous (there was rumors of 300,000 people):

Phantom Menace is an other quite anticipated non sequel, it is really hard to beat the first Star Wars movie in 15 year's finally happening:

starwars5.jpg

Edited by Barnack

I was only 5 when Batman came out so I didn't follow the box office then and I didn't see the film until it came out on VHS. I always found the film to be okay but massively inferior to the 92 animated series which obviously used the movie as a jumping-off point in certain ways. The box office was amazing but the movie doesn't really hold up but then I was never enamored with it. It's certainly entertaining and better than that very bad sequel Batman Returns. 

• Knock It Off 1