aabattery

Widows | 16th Nov, 2018 | Steve McQueen directs, Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Erivo to star as the widows | #FeaturesFarrell

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure about worked, 12m OW and achieved to loose a bit of money on a near best picture quality candidate adaptation of one of the most popular franchise of the 2000s......

Studio was piss with Fincher strange marketing for Dragon Tattoo for a long time.

It was an incredibly dark serial killer thriller whose source material was more popular overseas AND it legged it from 12m to 100m. I don't care what the budget was...that's a success. 

2 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Nice to see Jon Bernthal is continuing his tradition of 5 minute cameos in every genre crime movie by a respected director

I know, right? Wolf of Wall Street, Baby Driver, Wind River, now this. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It was an incredibly dark serial killer thriller whose source material was more popular overseas AND it legged it from 12m to 100m. I don't care what the budget was...that's a success. 

I would assume that marketing influence opening weekend much more than the legs.

It didn't do particularly well oversea neither, we are talking here one of the biggest franchise of all time, talk at someone that worked in a book store around those year's how crazy it was:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Above Hunger Games, Life of Pi, Gone Girl, Girl on a Train type of success:

Book series Author Original language No. of installments First published Approximate sales
Nijntje (Miffy) Dick Bruna Dutch 119 1955–present 85 million[205]
Millennium Stieg Larsson, David Lagercrantz Swedish 5 2005–2017 85 million

The movie got a nice 100m marketing budget, the swedish small budget version of those movie could do 100m WW, the Fincher great reviews 5 oscars nomination with a near 140m budget (111m net) with movie stars barely beat it oversea.

There were even story of Fincher making razor blade thin marketing material to be ship to movie theater that didn;t pass basic security test:

A source says Fincher also had the studio create metal, razor-blade-shaped one-sheet materials for the film that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce but were not suitable for display in theaters.

It did loss money adapting one of the biggest book franchise of all time, with quite the good movie (as show by the legs you are pointing out), it is normal for the studio to blame the very strange marketing strategy Fincher forced on them (and also some of the strange costly decision he made, like apparently developing a technology for the CGI snow that create all unique flocks).

He did loose some of that I decide and have final say for the movie release marketing power after that.

Edited by Barnack

19 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would assume that marketing influence opening weekend much more than the legs.

It didn't do particularly well oversea neither, we are talking here one of the biggest franchise of all time, talk at someone that worked in a book store around those year's how crazy it was:

Book series Author Original language No. of installments First published Approximate sales

The movie got a nice 100m marketing budget, the swedish small budget version of those movie could do 100m WW, the Fincher great reviews 5 oscars nomination with a near 140m budget (111m net) with movie stars barely bit it oversea.

There were even story of Fincher making razor blade thin marketing material to be ship to movie theater that didn;t pass basic security test:

A source says Fincher also had the studio create metal, razor-blade-shaped one-sheet materials for the film that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce but were not suitable for display in theaters.

It did loss money adapting one of the biggest book franchise of all time, with quite the good movie (as show by the legs you are pointing out), it is normal for the studio to blame the very strange marketing strategy Fincher forced on them (and also some of the strange costly decision he made, like apparently developing a technology for the CGI snow that create all unique flocks).

He did loose some of that I decide and have final say for the movie release power after that.

The marketing was slick and unique (like all of his films) and reflected the movie's tone. I'm not going to knock him for refusing to cater to the Fifty Shades crowd. 

13 hours ago, Barnack said:

The movie got a nice 100m marketing budget, the swedish small budget version of those movie could do 100m WW, the Fincher great reviews 5 oscars nomination with a near 140m budget (111m net) with movie stars barely beat it oversea.

I think one of the reasons it didn't do that well in Europe which was the prime OS market for it was the Swedish version being "too famous" for a non-english speaking movie. It didn't set the boxoffice on fire outside scandinavian countries but it was a pretty mainstream movie across Europe. A lot of people who don't watch non-english speaking movies watched it. Also going by anecdotal evidence I remember a lot of talk irl and the net dismissing the "Hollywood" version sight unseen because they ve seen the real thing(the real thing being a subpar TV movie).

https://deadline.com/2018/07/steve-mcqueen-gillian-flynns-widows-to-open-2018-london-film-festival-1202425147/

Steve McQueen’s Widows has been set as the opening night gala of the BFI London Film Festival which kicks off October 10 in the British capital.

This is billed as the “international premiere” suggesting the movie may debut earlier at one of the fall festivals. 

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2