CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

The Academy announced on Saturday, the day before Oscar Sunday, that Greg P. Russell’s sound mixing nomination for “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi” has been revoked for “violation of Academy campaign regulations.” Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Mac Ruth remain sound mixing nominees for the film.

“The decision was prompted by the discovery that Russell had called his fellow members of the Sound Branch during the nominations phase to make them aware of his work on the film, in direct violation of a campaign regulation that prohibits telephone lobbying,” the release said.

“The Board of Governors’ decision to rescind Mr. Russell’s nomination was made after careful consideration,” Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs said in a statement. “The Academy takes very seriously the Oscars voting process and anything – no matter how well-intentioned – that may undermine the integrity of that process.”

According to the release, Academy rules state that “contacting Academy members by telephone to promote a film or achievement is expressly forbidden, even if such contact is in the guise of checking to make sure a screener or other mailing was received.”

The nominees now are: Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Rogue One, 13 Hours

• Like 3

1 minute ago, franfar said:

The nominees now are: Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land, Rogue One, 13 Hours

same nominated films just one guy's name taken off the ballot.

Greg Russell has never won before and this was his 17th nomination. if i was a 16 time loser i might just get that desperate too. 

• Like 2

kimmel did a good job with the emmys a few months ago. watching him at the indie spirits yesterday made me think how much i'd love to see john mulaney host the oscars. probably not enough of a name for that gig that would be the lowest rated show ever.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like she's only not attending because she knows she has zero chance of winning and just wants to enjoy the show from the comfort of her own home. Absences have been increasingly rare in recent years.

Obviously that's a big factor...Catherine Zeta-Jones and Annette Bening were close to giving birth and attended the ceremony, but neither had won before (and Annette went home empty handed). Of course if Natalie hadn't won already, the whole Actress race would be different now and maybe she'd be there tonight. She was pregnant when she won before but not AS pregnant, if she's at the swollen feet/have to pee constantly/easily tired stage, and she's not going to win anyway...I can't blame her for not going.

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Academy probably sent a nasty email promising to blackball everyone who took part, which might explain the slim pickings this year. The 3 who volunteered for this year all seemed pretty obnoxious.

They always pick the obnoxious ones because they get more clicks.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

Jimmy Kimmel is very funny IMO

Oh he's the host? I don't find him funny.

Anyway I'm not interested in any of the main contenders and the whole night is just gonna be "brave" regurgitated  political speeches.

It is important that I express to the whole world my dissatisfaction with an annual TV programme

1 minute ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Oh he's the host? I don't find him funny.

Anyway I'm not interested in any of the main contenders and the whole night is just gonna be "brave" regurgitated  political speeches.

It is important that I express to the whole world my dissatisfaction with an annual TV programme

Hey at least you're upfront about it

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Probably too late for him to be included in In Memorium but still sucks so much.

Speaking of which, In Memorium is gonna be so unbearable this year.

The whole show will be now. It is a pretty big death to happen on the day of the Oscars.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'll watch this year. They're just so long. But I'm in like 5 Oscar contests this year so maybe I should. 

I think Best Leading Actress is the most interesting acting category this year. I can see all nominees winning except for Ruth Negga. Stone is the favorite, but I think this could be the category with the highest chance of an upset. 

Edited by GambitPool