CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Here are you Oscars odds from PredictWise & Gold Derby. Truth is there aren't a lot of close races this year...

http://predictwise.com/entertainment/2017-oscars

https://www.google.com/amp/www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-oscar-predictions-best-picture-director-actor/amp/

Closest of the main 24 categories appear to be Best Actor (Affleck a slight fav over Washington), Documentary Short (Extremis & The White Helmet co-favs with Joe's Violin close behind), Foreign Language (Iran's The Salesman has a small lead over Germany's Toni Erdmann), Live Action Short (Ennemis Entreniers has the lead but still Timecode or Sing are reasonable second/third options to steal the win), & Costume Design (La La Land has a tiny lead over Jackie).

The rest all have a firm leader that would be an upset to see someone else win.

God, I hope Denzel wins Best Actor. They're about equal performances in my book, but Christ, the thought of Brie Larson, advocate for victims of sexual assault who won an Oscar for playing a rape victim, having to hand an Oscar off to creepo sexual assaulter Casey Affleck is cringe worthy. And also, if Hollywood is going to be a real platform for change and progressive values (which they absolutely should be!), they have to walk the walk. They can't make speeches about President Pussygrabber and then give Best Actor to one, too. I don' think character should play a role in these kind of things - T.O. should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer! - but a sexual assaulter in this year? Nah, son. And Denzel was fucking great, too. Love that man.

I'm sure that this will be followed by a bunch of posts telling me what a PC idiot I am or something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Usually actors win Oscars for making themselves uglier. Dev Patel would be the first person to win an Oscar for getting way hotter. 

it's worth noting that the last time none of the 4 acting winners played a real person was 19 years ago. also that was the last time all four winners were American. dev would be the only winner i could think of that would keep both those streaks running.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

God, I hope Denzel wins Best Actor. They're about equal performances in my book, but Christ, the thought of Brie Larson, advocate for victims of sexual assault who won an Oscar for playing a rape victim, having to hand an Oscar off to creepo sexual assaulter Casey Affleck is cringe worthy. And also, if Hollywood is going to be a real platform for change and progressive values (which they absolutely should be!), they have to walk the walk. They can't make speeches about President Pussygrabber and then give Best Actor to one, too. I don' think character should play a role in these kind of things - T.O. should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer! - but a sexual assaulter in this year? Nah, son. And Denzel was fucking great, too. Love that man.

I'm sure that this will be followed by a bunch of posts telling me what a PC idiot I am or something. 

Brie will just sport a smile and fake her way through it if she has to present the award to Affleck. Lucky for her that she's already a good actress.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no. if i was ballsier i'd say that Hell or High Water is winning screenplay or dev patel is winning supporting actor. got a feeling about those two.

Betting odds are usually a great indicator, this year has mostly lopsided races. Who will be this year's Ex Machina for Visual Effects? A movie that stuns both the bookies and prognosticators.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Brie will just sport a smile and fake her way through it if she has to present the award to Affleck. Lucky for her that she's already a good actress.

Yeah, but it doesn't make it less shitty. Beyond Brie Larson is the millions of sexual assault victims watching at home who see Hollywood (rightfully) condemning Donald Trump the whole night then turning around and giving the second biggest award to a guy who did the same shit.

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Betting odds are usually a great indicator, this year has mostly lopsided races. Who will be this year's Ex Machina for Visual Effects? A movie that stuns both the bookies and prognosticators.

I'd like to think Suicide Squad in Makeup? Everyone's got their money on Star Trek because it isn't too obscure (A Man Called Ove) or too poorly-reviewed (Squad) but this is one of the few categories that's forgiving to bad movies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

might not be a shocker. i think 2 years ago i only got 2 categories wrong on my predictions and they were pretty minor ones.

best actor is probably the closest race. i notice the odds favour casey but denzel with the SAG award, that's gone to the same actor who won the oscar the last 13 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yeah, but it doesn't make it less shitty. Beyond Brie Larson is the millions of sexual assault victims watching at home who see Hollywood (rightfully) condemning Donald Trump the whole night then turning around and giving the second biggest award to a guy who did the same shit.

He won't win. Calm your tits ffs.