CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

No I mean I really don't get it.  I don't see color when I watch a movie, I see either good cinema or bad cinema and it annoys me when people just refer to something as a "black film" solely cause it has a majority black cast.  I don't hear people going around saying something is a "white film."

You realize La La Land was literally being called "White People: The Movie" in think pieces for months on end right?

• Like 5

• Community Manager
Just now, franfar said:

You can say you're colorblind all you want, just realize that our society by and large does not see it that way

That's why these types of movies are made, so to represent common bonding experiences

It's an admirable stance, but it's just....not really effective

The problem with being color blind is that it also diminishes the different cultures, experiences, voices of people.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

While I get your point, how can you not see color when it comes to Moonlight? It very much was a movie not just about the black experience in America or the gay experience in America but the black gay experience in America.

Well I saw color while watching Moonlight solely based on its subject matter, but after I watched it, I felt that referring to it as a black film just didn't sound right (which is me for basically every film).  So I technically did see color, but not in the grand scheme of things after I finished watching the movie.

7 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

It won precisely because it was black and gay, it was literally oscar bait the movie 

This really isn't the case. I mean, when you have people like Michael Mann raving about it, you've touched a nerve that goes beyond mere "oh, let's make sure to have an African-American movie win BP". 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

Haven't watched many movies last year. But I'm gonna get on Moonlight soon enough. 

I'd say the only Oscar nominated movies I watched in 2016 were Hidden Figures, Moana, Zootopia, SS, Rogue One, Doctor Strange, and Fantastic Beats. I've been busier as of late lmao.

Ah I understand!

Any plans to watch La La Land though?