CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

NGL, Emma Stone winning an Oscar for La La Land would be a slight disgrace.

eh. not the worst winner in recent years. better than streep's last win, winslet's win and bullock imo.

it's kinda crazy that la la land would be the first best picture to even have a female lead since million dollar baby 12 years ago (and even then clint is the real lead, so like chicago). that streak doesn't usually last that long.

• Like 1

God I forgot that Sandra Bullock won hers for the Blind Side. There's ten performances like that a year on the Hallmark channel. And I didn't even hate that movie. It was a fine sports drama. It'd be like if Kurt Russell had won for Miracle. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

God I forgot that Sandra Bullock won hers for the Blind Side. There's ten performances like that a year on the Hallmark channel. And I didn't even hate that movie. It was a fine sports drama. It'd be like if Kurt Russell had won for Miracle. 

Miracle didn't have the $$$$$.

Gotta have normal people watch the ceremony.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

it was a really weak year in that category. carey mulligan and gabourey sidibe were the only good nominees and they were nobodies so they weren't gonna get votes.

Just The Salesman, which was pretty great. It's more conventional fare compared to the director's previous works, but not any less immersing, gripping, and thoughtful. Asghar Farhadi is so above and beyond everyone else doing family dramas right now.

Just now, Goffe said:

Just The Salesman, which was pretty great. It's more conventional fare compared to the director's previous works, but not any less immersing, gripping, and thoughtful. Asghar Farhadi is so above and beyond everyone else doing family dramas right now.

The reaction if they win is likely to be the loudest of the night. Good to know it is a worthy winner if it happens.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I can't believe I've never seen The Deer Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia, All About Eve, or Unforgiven, among highly regard BP winners. I feel like a movie heathen. I need to fix that this week. 

Dude, you keep that on the down low.

But of those, I've only seen Lawrence of Arabia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

i was gonna watch this but ended up watching 20th century women instead so i'd have watched all the movies in the top 8 categories before the ceremony.

Not a bad choice! thought it was great. probably my favourite of the original screenplay nominees actually. feel like A24 kinda shafted it in favour of moonlight on the campaign. Annette Bening not getting the nomination is a real shame it's probably her best performance. she's got some baity as fuck Gloria Grahame biopic out this year and i bet it'll be half as good and i bet she'll win for it.

Edited by CoolioD1

Just now, Goffe said:

And of course, the only left thing to do after you see all movies from one category... IT'S RANKING TIME.

1 The Salesman
2 Toni Erdmann
3 Land of Mine
4 A Man Called Ove
5 Tanna

Above average year.

Would you be surprised if Toni Erdmann wins? It's obviously pretty close on the betting odds. The others don't really have a chance.