CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm happy that Octavia Spencer got a second nomination but feel sorry that she's gonna make the worst dressed lists for this mess:

Actor Octavia Spencer attends the...

Taraji is all I need. She looked smokin hot.

Safe House is a pretty bad movie too. Shit rides along because of Denzel's charisma and a good trailer song, but it was a huge bore. I have no reason to be confident in Life, even though the cast is ok and I am a sucker for "bad things happen in space" movies.  It has a worse cast than Child 44, though, and that didn't save that movie. 

• Like 1

Just now, Goffe said:

I think Erdmann winning is one of the locks of the night, isn't it? I would love if my man Farhadi won another Oscar (even though he wouldn't be there to receive because Trump), but Erdmann is a fine winner, good movie overall even if a tad overlong.

https://m.oddschecker.com/m/awards/oscars/best-foreign-language-film

Best odds you can get: Salesman 8/11, Erdmann 13/8, Ove 9/1, other two are 50-100/1. How shocking would it be if Ove won?

Just now, Telemachos said:

I didn't like it. :lol: I'm saying you should watch it because it's the same guy that directed LIFE, and LIFE looks like it'll turn out the same. 

It has Tom Hardy. No need to lie Tele.

He also directed Snabba cash (Easy Money) (which had good reviews) and Safe House (a well received thriller that was a hit and got ok reviews).

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I still think Erdmann is getting it.

I think that's a great read based on the odds dude. A bunch of dumb money will think the Iranian film is going to win due to all the publicity it's gotten yet Erdmann is very close behind. Not even a 2/1 underdog.

Edited by GiantCALBears

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the oscars kinda ruled in the 70s. i guess they had to because that was the decade of auteurs running shit. could you imagine Cries and Whispers or A Clockwork Orange getting best picture nominations today? towards the end of the decade you can see them kinda slip into nominating the cheeseball shit that dominated the oscars in the 80s though.

Funny you said that, Deadline did a very long interview with William Friedkin about this very subject, movies and auteurs in the 70's and no, auteurs didn't run anything, that s a mind construct, that s not how it went down at all.

Friedkin just said some of the auteurs were just lucky to get those films made but it was a nightmare to convince people to get them done.