CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

I feel like Actress is really close too. Huppert has the support but Stone has the advantage of being in the Best Picture winner. I'm reminded of Jennifer Lawrence and Emmanuelle Riva (RIP) from four years ago where the young starlet eventually prevails. We shall see.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

He's the favorite in betting lines. And no thanks. I know you don't give a shit about this kind of stuff, but I do. I don't have to do shit. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The category is called best performance by an actor in a leading role. Whoever they think gave that performance, should win. The end. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I feel like Actress is really close too. Huppert has the support but Stone has the advantage of being in the Best Picture winner. I'm reminded of Jennifer Lawrence and Emmanuelle Riva (RIP) from four years ago where the young starlet eventually prevails. We shall see.

i don't think it's that close, sure the globe was a surprise but i think "huppert might snatch the oscar" is a narrative being spun by film twitter fanboys. even if the acting branch admired her work i can't see the academy at large digging a movie like Elle.

i'd be ecstatic to be wrong though!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd like to think Suicide Squad in Makeup? Everyone's got their money on Star Trek because it isn't too obscure (A Man Called Ove) or too poorly-reviewed (Squad) but this is one of the few categories that's forgiving to bad movies.

A Man Called Ove could steal makeup as well, they are long shots but combined the 2 have a 29% chance vs 71% for ST. It's possible for sure.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I respectfully disagree with Jake. Art does not exist in a sociopolitical vacuum. That's what makes it so powerful. When awards are given out on artistic merit, that should be a factor, especially in times like this. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think Stone is a bigger favorite than Ali, honestly. Which makes me sad, because I think Ali definitely deserves to win that award and I'm worried he won't, while Emma.....eh. (And I loved La La Land!)

Didn't Ali recently do a big cover story with Hollywood Reporter? He definitely wants it.

back in the day russell crowe was such a lock for a beautiful mind but then he fucked up by being an asshole and got a lot of press for beating a dude up and denzel took it in the end. that's a year where controversy shaped the awards for the better because Russell Crowe is honestly miscast and hammy in beautiful mind and Denzel in training day is one of the best wins in that category ever.

• Like 1

You can disagree all you want Cmasterclay. You are wrong. That is meant to give the award to what they think is the best. Not the one which will be more politically correct. Either way Denzel is the best.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Huppert, unlike Riva, has been an incredibly active presence in movies over several decades, is legitimately one of the few living legends among actors, and has been very visible over the past couple of months too. Problem is that Stone by this point has also been prominent for about 5 years more than Lawrence when she won, and her role is arguably more showy than Lawrence's in SLP as well. 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's not close at all lol, Stone is 83% to win with Portman 2nd at 9%, Hubbert 3rd at 7%.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You can disagree all you want Cmasterclay. You are wrong. That is meant to give the award to what they think is the best. Not the one which will be more politically correct. Either way Denzel is the best.

Whenever someone uses "politically correct" as the main crux of their argument, I automatically end it because it's not even worth putting up with that bullshit. Whatever. I do think Denzel is better anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Whenever someone uses "politically correct" as the main crux of their argument, I automatically end it because it's not even worth putting up with that bullshit. Whatever. I do think Denzel is better anyway. 

Because you know you are wrong. 

It is just like Jake said:

The category is called best performance by an actor in a leading role. Whoever they think gave that performance, should win. The end.

If they think Casey gave the best performance, he should be the one winning. If Awards shows stop doing that, then there is no point in existing at all. 

Either way, this is all really weird because we both agree Denzel should win.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

On the other hand, it's nice to see some competition in Best Actor this year after the total Leo landslide that was last year. Geez, who would've won otherwise in that particular lineup?

i think the tide would've turned to fassbender even though steve jobs was flop city. he was picking up some good buzz from critics awards early on. a much better performance than leo's anyway.