CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, it's nice to see some competition in Best Actor this year after the total Leo landslide that was last year. Geez, who would've won otherwise in that particular lineup?

I think all categories look competitive this year. I still think Moonlight might shock the world. I would like that.

Elle, Florence Foster Jenkins, and Jackie are the only noms in any major categories I missed, so I wish I could judge the Best Actress race better. I thought Negga was more impactful than Stone even though I liked La La Land better than Loving, FWIW. 

Also, real shame that Viggo got nominated for fucking Captain Fantastic but missed for A History of Violence, one of my top 10 lead actor roles of the 21st century. Dumb things happen.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Because you know you are wrong. 

It is just like Jake said:

If they think Casey gave the best performance, he should be the one winning. If Awards shows stop doing that, then there is no point in existing at all. 

Either way, this is all really weird because we both agree Denzel should win.

No, because calling someone "politically correct" is usually always a false and dumb argument. But we do agree, Denzel's the best for it. Casey Affleck would be a fine winner if the Oscars weren't serving a higher purpose. It's a weird year, you may have noticed. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

On the other hand, it's nice to see some competition in Best Actor this year after the total Leo landslide that was last year. Geez, who would've won otherwise in that particular lineup?

Fassbender or Damon. Both would have been less embarrassing winners than Leo. 

maybe we're just wishful thinking and the oscar would've gone to trumbo. the fact that he even got nominated for that movie... i've been saying it but it's proof how much the industry loves the Cran man. when he does some actually good oscar bait he's gonna win everything.

• Like 1

Man I agree that Leo was a bit hammy and silly last year, but I just never got into the hype for Matt Damon playing himself and winning an Oscar for it. Maybe because there's way actors who are way more interesting playing characters that have alot of themselves in it. IDK, The Martian kind of let me down. I know it's lame to say the book is better, but the book is way better.

Michael B. Jordan was the Best lead Actor performance of last year, no doubt for me. Also weird that Tom Hanks is one of the most beloved actors in Hollywood and he couldn't get buzz for a nom for his best performance in 20 years last year. Bridge of Spies rocked. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

No, because calling someone "politically correct" is usually always a false and dumb argument. But we do agree, Denzel's the best for it. Casey Affleck would be a fine winner if the Oscars weren't serving a higher purpose. It's a weird year, you may have noticed. 

I didn't called you politically correct. My point in the end is that the whole sexual harassment story shouldn't impact whether Casey wins or loses.  

Weird year? Donald Trump? Brexit? Are you sure? :ph34r: I watch CNN 2-3 times a week just to see what happened because every day something more stupid comes out of the White House.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I feel like Damon was last tbh. He missed SAG and The Martian ended up going home with nothing.

I forgot the SAG thing. Still think he was probably #3 in the end though. 

Regardless, looking at all the performances I've seen from the year, Fassbender is the only one who was anywhere close to deserving even a nomination. And he still wouldn't have been in my top 5. 

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Elle, Florence Foster Jenkins, and Jackie are the only noms in any major categories I missed, so I wish I could judge the Best Actress race better. I thought Negga was more impactful than Stone even though I liked La La Land better than Loving, FWIW. 

Also, real shame that Viggo got nominated for fucking Captain Fantastic but missed for A History of Violence, one of my top 10 lead actor roles of the 21st century. Dumb things happen.

His Captain Fantastic performance is well fantastic - probably my favorite by him ever and my favorite in the category. 

Too bas he has no chance though I did like to see in that Hollywood Reporter Anon Oscar series 2 out of the 5 said they voted for him.

yeah, i loved damon in the martian. don't love the movie itself but he sells it really well. it's the kind of performance energy that won all the time in the 50s/60 before that award became "how much harm can this actor do to their bodies"/"who cries the best"/"like that real person we've heard of!"