CJohn

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part | 2/8/2019 | Big Space Musical

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This feels 2-3 years too late.

Seriously. The first is one of my favorites and I'm excited for this...but five years later? Are we serious? Meta humor in WB cartoons isn't something new anymore, this is going to have to be different.

I was mildly impressed by the trailer but not enough.

Edited by Morieris

Genuinely confused as to how a five year difference is going to make this decrease?  It’s been proven time and time again that long waits for sequels doesn’t have much of an effect on them, especially when the first is beloved.  Case in point: the highest grossing animated film is a sequel that took 14 years after the original to be released.

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Genuinely confused as to how a five year difference is going to make this decrease?  It’s been proven time and time again that long waits for sequels doesn’t have much of an effect on them, especially when the first is beloved.  Case in point: the highest grossing animated film is a sequel that took 14 years after the original to be released.

At least in my opinion, when it comes to a sequel, the best timeframe for one to come out is around 2 or 3 years after the movie, or 10+ years after the movie. When it comes to a 2-3 year wait, the sequel is coming out at a point where the original is still relevant and talked about and people remember how much they liked it. In the case of 10+ years, that original may have been out for a long time, but a whole generation has passed, and the original film is now nostalgic. Lego 2's coming out 5 years after the last movie. It's now at a point where it's far away people have to be reminded of the last film, but it's not far away enough the property becomes nostalgic. Incredibles 2 had 14 years where the kids who saw the first movie in theaters grew up, and likely have kids of their own. My Twitter feed basically consisted of "Get the kids out of the way. Incredibles 2 is for us!" 5 years is a different story.

Then again, Ralph Breaks the Internet will likely increase from its original after 6 years since the last film, so what do I know?

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Then again, Ralph Breaks the Internet will likely increase from its original after 6 years since the last film, so what do I know?

Disney could release footage of hot piss for 2 hours and it'd still make bank

[see: Beauty & The Beast (2017)]

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Study in the past did show a strong correlation between year's between sequel and retention rate, if I remember correctly 3 year's was the bar not too cross to not see a big effect.

Decades will be a different case, one where inflation obviously will play a bigger case and need to be more took into account but also if you wait long enough now you enter some nostalgia return and it will work for the very iconic affair a la Star Wars, Nemo, Bond, Lord of the Rings, Potter, Jurassic park, Toy Story, Incredible, probably Shrek, Rocky, etc.... not necessarily for your more middle of the road success/pop-culture imprint.

I liked the trailer but I definitely see it decreasing by at least 75mil. I hope that it doesn't but that's what I see happening. I loved Lego Batman but I wish WB would have focused on bringing a sequel to us in a timely fashion rather than spin-offs. Going past the 3 year mark definitely hurts 99% of sequels. The Nu-Trek franchise never recovered from that pointless 4 year wait.