CJohn

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part | 2/8/2019 | Big Space Musical

Holy crap, that's more than 3 years away. That feels like an awfully long time. I'm used to sequels happening a little faster than that.

That said, it's safe to assume that Legos will still be popular 3 years from now.

I'm not sure I like the release date though. Memorial Day (and summer in general) can sometimes be a bit too crowded. If all of a sudden it has to go up against Jurassic Park 5 or Star Trek 14 and whatever else, it's legs are going to be hurt, and it won't be able to pull in as much of a 4-quadrant audience as the first one. Plus, I just like having big movies during some of the quieter times on the movie calendar.

Shrek 2 also had TDAT and it did fine.

In a very long time sadly... 

For Lego 2, 3 years and a half seems good. The animated sequels are never as fast as live-action movies. 3 years is good. The move in the summer is a good thing too as it was a free spot and I think others studios won't go against it so easily. It will have the Pixar or the Dreamworks as its only competition (both are scheduled 6/16, one will move)

3.5? Its 3 years and 3 months + a couple of weeks.

If Lord & Miller will a be a part of this, definitely.

Even without I think, people don't care about the directors for the majority so they will be there massively. With the good will of the first, even a less good movie (not a shitty one though) can do 300M IMO

Even without I think, people don't care about the directors for the majority so they will be there massively. With the good will of the first, even a less good movie (not a shitty one though) can do 300M IMO

However, the directors could affect the quality, which in turn could affect the legs, am I right?

• Like 1

300+ seems like a distinct possibility. Lego 1 is looking to finish somewhere around 275 million and the audience reception is very positive.

Here are the percentage changes for the second films in various kids/family series as compared to the first:

Shrek: 65Despicable Me: 47Toy Story: 28Ice Age: 11Alvin: 1Cloudy: - 5Madagascar: -7Cars: -22KFP: -23Spy Kids: -24Smurfs: -50

While it may be too much to expect it to get to Shrek 2 levels, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to expect Toy Story 2 or even Despicable Me 2 as a comparison. A 25-50% boost over the first should be possible, but don't take it as guaranteed.

KFP should probably serve as the warning case. It was well regarded and still saw a drop. (Madagascar is a different warning case: don't take a worse release for your sequel. Lego 2 is getting a better release date in abstract, though, so this shouldn't be a problem.)

WTF? :lol:

Calm down there. I'm not even going to begin talking numbers. I'm talking the void left by Shrek as a pop culture humor animation franchise. This is the closest thing to it for families. That doesn't mean it's going to do Shrek 2 numbers by any means. It could drop from the current movie and still be a huge hit.

Which means it'll have a great sequel and 2 crappy movies afterwards, eventually becoming a sore afterthought in people's minds?

Posted Image

• Like 2