chasmmi

Chasmmi's Top 90 films of 2016 - It is finally here!!! The world is going wild.

Spoiler

7th - Deadpool - 98/100

Well it's not Disney at least :)

@baumer, I think he is a great actor with many great roles be it comedy in Two Guys and a girl, Van Wilder and Proposal. Black comedies like Voices, straight up Oscar worthy stuff like buried or even Voice Over stuff like Croods.    

Clearly, this film was going to look good to me, and the marketing made it look fantastic. Everything about this film from viral video one until post credits landed and worked. It was pretty much the perfect film in the genre it was trying to be and how can one say any better than that. 

I really hope they deliver with the sequel and that we even hopefully get to see Hugh one last one last time. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

6th - Hidden Figures - 98/100

This was the film that I was waiting to hit cinemas before completing my list. It came out last week and well, turns out I could have gone a bit faster. 

For me, this film was 2016's The Big Short. What I mean by that is that this film took an event that, however important it may be, was on the surface a really boring story, and turned it into something riveting. 

Also just like the Big Short, I was surprised at just how much I laughed watching this film. The plot effortlessly switches from highlighting the struggle and fight of these women, to having scenes that made you smile, chuckle, inwardly scream or just want to applaud.

The cast is fantastic in this, be it the three leads, Costner, or the two biggest surprises for me: Stupid whiny guy from Big Bang Theory, and airheaded, jock moron bloke from Scream Queens.

When a Biopic is done right, you find yourself wanting to immediately go home and Wikipedia the shit out of the story to see how accurate it was to real life. That was me after seeing this film. I wanted to know whether the Costner guy really destroyed a bathroom sign, Was John Glenn the most awesome person ever, and did those three women really all exist in unison at the same time and be as awesome as they were portrayed on screen.

• Like 6

Spoiler

5th - Kubo and the Two Strings - 99/100

This is the first time I have liked a Laika animation and its quite an upturn in opinion

Two (or was it three) years ago, I ranked Boxtrolls in my bottom 5 films of its year. I hated it quite immensely. However, the moment I saw a trailer for Kubo I was ready to give this new film a go because it looked epic, and it turns out the film was too.

I have never been a big fan of stop motion, it can be pretty cool to watch but overall it always feels like something that people do because they can and not because it benefits a film. Something like Chicken Run or Nightmare Before Xmas, might be a fun film, but it would still be a fun film if classically or digitally animated. I feel like its a lot of word in exchange for something not looking as good as it would be done a different way (this is obviously subjective on my part).

However, Kubo looks stunning. The effects, be they stop motion or CGI are incredible and it is the first time I have ever looked at stop motion and thought, you know I don't think hand-drawing or CGI could do that better. This film to me is like the Mad Max of stop motion animation, it blends the difficult to create hard-work physical stuff seamlessly with CGI to create something that looks incredible to the eye.

On top of this, the story was amazing in my opinion. We have an epic, dark and risky story that is told so well and is not afraid to go to places that Illumination or Dreamworks as examples may not have been willing to go. I also think the ending was a great way to finish the film and just overall this was a joyous film that I am really happy I did not disregard due to my opinions of previous works.

• Like 5

Spoiler

4th - Moana - 99/100

Yeah, best Disney Musical in 20 years right here. 

Zootopia was great, this was fecking fantastic. Be it the story, the voicework, or the epic soundtrack, everything about this film hit the perfect notes with me. Moana may well be the best realised 'Disney Princess' they've ever made and the whole cast is just so perfectly cast and portrayed. The Rock is awesome in this and his song is something that I am just not getting sick of. 

The animation is also gorgeous, the water effects and the tattoos especially are so fun and manage to become fully realised characters in their own right. It was also great to see David Bowie briefly become reincarnated in order to possess Tomatoa for his song (There are seriously 4 songs in this film that I would be happy to call the best song in a lot of Disney musicals).

It's going to suck waiting a year for a new Disney animation :(  

• Like 5

Spoiler

3rd - The Handmaiden - 100/100

I've rated one film in three years 100/100 before 2016, and now I have 3 all at once. 

Park chan Wook is a director that just sees film in a way that others don't. Irrespective of the topic or theme, his films will always be beautiful to look at, have sound and score that is as good as anything else out there, and most of all have a cast that is acting at the top of their game.

I consider this film to be pretty much perfect and yet it is possibly only my number three or four Park Chan Wook film, his stuff is just that damn good. This film started out pretty good and I was enjoying the story that was unfolding, the opening 30 minutes feels like a polished but standard story that one has seen in many a film before. And then everything starts twisting and turning in ways that just leave you in awe of what you are watching.

The film is a triumph of cinema, that had be reminiscing of the good days of 2001-2007 when Korea was consistently producing some of the very best films in the world every year. With this, Train to Busan and hopefully Okja in 2017, it would be great if we are about to see a return to those days.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Telerian said:

Wow, only number three?

Yeah, Unfortunately for it, I have an unexplainable love for two other films that I will now try to explain...

You will likely not approve :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

2nd - The Jungle Book - 100/100

The animated film is my favourite animation of all time, and somehow Favreau managed to do it justice.

I cannot quantify how much I loved this adaptation. For me it was the perfect proportion of new elements mixed with what I had nostalgia for in the originial. It kept some of the iconic songs, the characters were as I hoped they would be and Mowgli was pretty darn perfect. The voice work also was great throughout the cast, especially Elba. 

Add to this, the special effects are some of the best that there have ever been in a film, it is amazing what they did with a film that never left a Californian sound stage. Every animal seem a living breathing reality. 

I don't think it will be possible to top this in my eyes for live action remakes, but after watching this, I am ready for Lion King and Jungle Book 2.

• Like 4

If there was ever a number film of the year that I did not see coming...

Spoiler

1st - Kung Fu Panda 3 - 100/100

And so was completed the best animated trilogy of all time.

Dreamworks marketing is nothing short of awful (if I am meant to be the target audience). This has been present a lot in recent trailers, but years ago it was in titles. Who the hell wants to see a film named How to Train your Dragon or Kung Fu Panda, they are stupid sounding films for stupid sounding children clearly. 

Then on a flight from London to Seoul, I had run out of films to see from what was available and decided I may as well give the animation a go. That was when I discovered that Kung Fu Panda 1, was one of the most charming and well realised oriigin stories out there, and a damn good animation.

When I got home, I watched Kung Fu Panda 2 and far from being a lazy retread of the first, they actually progressed the story. Po develops from the point he was at by the end of film one and we got one of the great animated sequels in my eyes. 

So when number three came around, i finally saw one of these in cinemas and after lacklustre trailers, all I wanted was a decent end to the trilogy arc. What I got was the best film of the three. Yet again Po's character evolves, yet again the story is different and continuous from the previous installment and yet again it has a final act that is both funny, entertaining and triumphant. 

I cannot quite understand myself why i love these films so much. I know I am in the minority of one with this placement, but even though it would be more credible to put Handmaiden at first, or more understandable to put the Nostalgia choice of Jungle Book 1st, but the fact of the matter is, this was the most entertainment I had watching a 2016 film and as such it is my number one film of 2016.

• Like 6

On 4/2/2017 at 1:14 PM, chasmmi said:

If there was ever a number film of the year that I did not see coming...

Hide contents

1st - Kung Fu Panda 3 - 100/100

And so was completed the best animated trilogy of all time.

Dreamworks marketing is nothing short of awful (if I am meant to be the target audience). This has been present a lot in recent trailers, but years ago it was in titles. Who the hell wants to see a film named How to Train your Dragon or Kung Fu Panda, they are stupid sounding films for stupid sounding children clearly. 

Then on a flight from London to Seoul, I had run out of films to see from what was available and decided I may as well give the animation a go. That was when I discovered that Kung Fu Panda 1, was one of the most charming and well realised oriigin stories out there, and a damn good animation.

When I got home, I watched Kung Fu Panda 2 and far from being a lazy retread of the first, they actually progressed the story. Po develops from the point he was at by the end of film one and we got one of the great animated sequels in my eyes. 

So when number three came around, i finally saw one of these in cinemas and after lacklustre trailers, all I wanted was a decent end to the trilogy arc. What I got was the best film of the three. Yet again Po's character evolves, yet again the story is different and continuous from the previous installment and yet again it has a final act that is both funny, entertaining and triumphant. 

I cannot quite understand myself why i love these films so much. I know I am in the minority of one with this placement, but even though it would be more credible to put Handmaiden at first, or more understandable to put the Nostalgia choice of Jungle Book 1st, but the fact of the matter is, this was the most entertainment I had watching a 2016 film and as such it is my number one film of 2016.

You don't have to suck up to me to get a chance to be on set for my next movie.  It's okay.

• Like 2