aabattery

The Favourite | 23rd November, 2018 | 𝓝𝓲𝓬𝓱𝓸𝓡π“ͺ𝓼 𝓗𝓸𝓾𝓡𝓽 | Period Drama by Yorgos Lanthimos (The Lobster, Killing of a Sacred Deer)

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

WillΒ this be his most accessible movie yet? I sure hope not. Trailer is outstanding. I think, could be mistaken, this is first feature of his that he didn't also write.

From the tone of the trailer doesn't look like a departure from his style, but it seems that they are gonna sell it as an oscar movie. I'm sure FoxS expect this to be at least bigger at the boxoffice than the Lobster even if it is just as strange.

This should make as much as The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer combined ($11M) even if it ends with just a few nominations since this has Emma Stone. Gonna be interesting to see which costume drama makes more between this and Mary, Queen of Scots, even though this looks like it'll be the much better film.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This should make as much as The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer combined ($11M) even if it ends with just a few nominations since this has Emma Stone. Gonna be interesting to see which costume drama makes more between this and Mary, Queen of Scots, even though this looks like it'll be the much better film.

If it does well with the Oscars it should cross $20M. But yeah most I see for this is $40M and that's if it wins Best Picture.Β 

On 7/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, filmlover said:

Β 

Mary looks the more mainstream movie by a mile, I think it 'll have to straight up bomb to not beat the Favourite. It could happen but Mary looks to have a much higher ceiling.Β If everything breaks right for it, I can see it being another Darkest Hour getting the oscar biopic money and a big acting award. For the Favourite I think the best case scenario both for awards and boxoffice would be something like the Phantom Thread and even that feels like a little bit of a stretch since DDL and PTA are a much bigger deal with both the oscar and arthouse crowds.

Β 

23 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

If it does well with the Oscars it should cross $20M. But yeah most I see for this is $40M and that's if it wins Best Picture.Β 

Β 

This ain't getting anywhere close to winning BP. It might get some nomination love and a tech but that's about it. If it isn't a dramatic departure from Lanthimos previous movies (and it doesn't look like it), it will be too weird for anything above that.

Wir4ed, though, that John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, seems to be reduced to a minor character in this,when his success as a general is what allowed his wife Sarah to become Queen Anne's favorite (and the founder of the Churchill Family;Winston was a direct descendent).

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, JohnnyGossamer said:

WillΒ this be his most accessible movie yet? I sure hope not. Trailer is outstanding. I think, could be mistaken, this is first feature of his that he didn't also write.

Β 

Hopefully. I love weird movies and thought both Lobster and Sacred Deer were unfunny and pretentious. He takes inaccessible to a new level.Β 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 8:29 PM, JohnnyGossamer said:

Most of his previous movies were written by long time collaborator Efthimios Filippou.Β