FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

8 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

It wide released on a Saturday. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

What holiday? Can't think of any outside of Vets Day in early November.

It was Vets Day.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's a great time to be an Asian in Hollywood. Emma Stone, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, Matt Damon. You should be so proud.

Not to mention all of the Asians in the lead voice roles for Kubo and the Two Strings.

• Like 3

I know some people will laugh but I think if the powers that be weren't so goddamn forgetful and can't seem to remember anything that didn't come out in November or December, Get Out should be in the Oscars conversation. There are 10 Best Picture spots, after all. It isn't "just a horror film" with some cute scares or something. It has something to say. It's diverse - which they love - and was written and directed by an African-American guy (counters the recent OscarsSoWhite complaint), and it has universal praise on top of growing box office success. All I'm saying is end of the year, I don't think it'll miss my Top 10 for 2017 list and it may end up in quite a few critics' lists. Just makes me think, who knows? It's also indie enough for them. 

Im seeing Logan tonight, looking forward to it. Amazing weekend all around. 

• Like 10

Amazing for Get Out. I still don't understand why Gitesh predicted a 45% drop this weekend. There is no way in hell a film that grossed 50% of its opening weekend gross during the succeeding Monday through Thursday was going to fall 45% in its second weekend. Maybe he thought Logan was going to destroy it, comparatively.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ban1o said:

What does that have to do with anything lol? You were saying movies with black leads don't do well overseas which I agree with. 

I'm saying whenever I say this international users say it's because their country can't relate to racism or the "Afro-American" experience lol. Like even movies that aren't about racism don't do well overseas compared to movies with white leads. 

Anyway we'll see how Black panther does. That doesn't even take place in the United States so they can't use the "Afro American" experience excuse lol. 

My bad thought you meant something else I misread it.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Universal wins.

Universal has 4 movies that earn $50M or more before F8, Mummy & Despicable Me 3.

If Universal releases Jurassic World 2 this year (they have sequels of 2015's 50 Shades & Pitch Perfect this year too),

they just might get close to the insane run of Year 2015

• Like 2

Just now, JonathanLB said:

I know some people will laugh but I think if the powers that be weren't so goddamn forgetful and can't seem to remember anything that didn't come out in November or December, Get Out should be in the Oscars conversation. There are 10 Best Picture spots, after all. It isn't "just a horror film" with some cute scares or something. It has something to say. It's diverse - which they love - and was written and directed by an African-American guy (counters the recent OscarsSoWhite complaint), and it has universal praise on top of growing box office success. All I'm saying is end of the year, I don't think it'll miss my Top 10 for 2017 list and it may end up in quite a few critics' lists. Just makes me think, who knows? It's also indie enough for them. 

Im seeing Logan tonight, looking forward to it. Amazing weekend all around. 

If the Oscars did not automatically dismiss 99% of genre films Logan, Get Out and Split would all be Oscar contenders.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Logan

$87 million

$41.5 million ($156 million)

$20 million ($192 million)

$10 million ($210 million)

$6 million ($221 million)

$4 million ($228 million)

$1.5 million ($230 million)

$236 million DOM

Spoiler

Get Out

$33.5 million

$28 million ($78 million)

$21 million ($116 million)

$13 million ($140 million)

$9 million ($157 million)

$6 million ($168 million)

$4.5 million ($175 million)

$2.5 million ($179 million)

$2 million ($182 million)

$189 million DOM

Spoiler

The Shack

$16.5 million

$11 million ($34 million)

$6 million ($44 million)

$4 million ($51 million)

$2.5 million ($55 million)

$1.5 million ($57 million)

$63 million DOM

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

Exactly, having black lead or predominantly black cast is not same thing as "a black movie that explores the black struggle" like Precious or Moonlight. Why should South America/Asia care about White-themed movies? (the white-theme term does not even exist, it's just the norm, even in predominantly black/brown/yellow countries, and that is problematic). The Hollywood mafia (Yes they're a mafia) is hell bent on instigating, encouraging and showcasing stereotypes and buffoonery while at the same time promoting the white actor as the alpha male and the white actress as the paragon of supreme beauty and you ALL falling for it.

The trends in Hollywood are the exact opposite of what you are describing there. Increasingly white males are presented as old/cowardly villains/losers etc... Just look at the last two Star Wars movies. 

As for what is universal, then yes, the Western world has been dominating everyone else for 5 centuries now. Only very recently this is changing due to the rise of China and the demographic decay of Europe/white America. 

As for the white female as the paragon of beauty. Well, that is just what the market demands.

2 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Universal has 4 movies that earn $50M or more before F8, Mummy & Despicable Me 3.

If Universal releases Jurassic World 2 this year (they have sequels of 2015's 50 Shades & Pitch Perfect this year too),

they just might get close to the insane run of Year 2015

JW2 is next year, 6/22/18

1 minute ago, mahnamahna said:
  Hide contents

Logan

$87 million

$41.5 million ($156 million)

$20 million ($192 million)

$10 million ($210 million)

$6 million ($221 million)

$4 million ($228 million)

$1.5 million ($230 million)

$236 million DOM

Hide contents

Get Out

$33.5 million

$28 million ($78 million)

$21 million ($116 million)

$13 million ($140 million)

$9 million ($157 million)

$6 million ($168 million)

$4.5 million ($175 million)

$2.5 million ($179 million)

$2 million ($182 million)

$189 million DOM

Hide contents

The Shack

$16.5 million

$11 million ($34 million)

$6 million ($44 million)

$4 million ($51 million)

$2.5 million ($55 million)

$1.5 million ($57 million)

$63 million DOM

I don't think Logan or Get Out will make that much.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

If the Oscars did not automatically dismiss 99% of genre films Logan, Get Out and Split would all be Oscar contenders.

James Mcavoy deserves some awards traction. He was fantastic in Split 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3