franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Uhhhhh.

Anyway, Spielberg has a ton going on. Movies two years in a row, he's got The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara this year, Ready Player One next year, Indy 5 in 2019, and now this too. He's loading up as he gets older. I'm not complaining - Spielberg at his most average is more interesting than alot of major directors today.

Mortara is getting pushed back because of this and the fact Spielberg wants the right child actor.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Is it going to give us anything the excellent classic All The President's Men hasn't?

There's a lot of contemporary crap happening right now - why not try and tackle that?

This movie is trying to convey how important a free press is, esp. when holding politics accountable. I'd say we need that message now more than ever.

It not like it has to live up to All The President's Men, anyways. 

• Like 1

Just now, franfar said:

This movie is trying to convey how important a free press is, esp. when holding politics accountable. I'd say we need that message now more than ever.

It not like it has to live up to All The President's Men, anyways. 

The message is great but it's been made with the same material already.  Iti could and I think preferable should also exist in a contemporary setting. ATPM did.  Setting it in the past opens it up to statements well that was when the press was "real" and not "biased" and giving us "fake news".   Its distancing and kind of provides a smug comfort of that was then and this is now, now is different- when it's not.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The message is great but it's been made with the same material already.  Iti could and I think preferable should also exist in a contemporary setting. ATPM did.  Setting it in the past opens it up to statements well that was when the press was "real" and not "biased" and giving us "fake news".   Its distancing and kind of provides a smug comfort of that was then and this is now, now is different- when it's not.

I mean, looking at the more popular news sources out there, it's not that false. Our media has taken a huge hit in trustworthiness and reliability over years. That's a view shared by many journalists. 

There are still credible journalists out there, but that's not what is popular. Setting it in the present may seem a bit unrealistic to viewers, since they're not used to it.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter, as long as Spielberg makes it good. It can be set in the past or present, and can still have it's message.

Edited by franfar

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Officially scheduled for 12/22/17 in limited (most likely a 1/12/18 wide release)

Seems like a really good release date. Really looking forward to the film. The subject of free press is something that's still very much relevant to this day, and I'm interested to see how Spielberg tackles it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I assume it'll premiere at NYFF, I'm more impressed it's going to be shot and edited and released just 6 months after they start shooting. 

Eh, it's not like this is a hard film to shoot. Everything is dialogue driven.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, it's not like this is a hard film to shoot. Everything is dialogue driven.

I assume the first trailer won't be until August or September. Maybe they'll attach it to Kingsman: The Golden Circle