grim22

Samson | Feb 16 2018 | Pureflix | Biblical story after all

9 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

It's still debated if King Arthur was real or just fiction and yet we still see films about him in a historical context.

Not sure I ever saw one ?, always seen it portrayed in a fantastic context in a time that never really existed (a mix between 5th to like 12th century technology with the mediaval Knight a concept that had yet to exist in Arthur time.

I see what Pure Flix is trying to do here. They're trying to position Samson as a Christian event film. The trailer surely got played in front Star Wars for a reason. Pure Flix is likely looking to put legitimate effort into their marketing, which could prove costly, so I'm rooting for this film to find its audience, because I don't want brothers in Christ to lose money on a film with genuine intentions.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Rated PG-13 for violence and battle sequences

I'd feel more confident in the film if Thematic Elements was a part of the rating, but being PG-13 at all is a sign that the filmmakers went in with the intention of doing it right.

14 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'd feel more confident in the film if Thematic Elements was a part of the rating, but being PG-13 at all is a sign that the filmmakers went in with the intention of doing it right.

It'd be R if they wanted to do it right, just read these

Judges 14: 6-9 "6 The Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as he might have torn a young goat. But he told neither his father nor his mother what he had done. 7 Then he went down and talked with the woman, and he liked her. 8 Some time later, when he went back to marry her, he turned aside to look at the lion’s carcass, and in it he saw a swarm of bees and some honey. 9 He scooped out the honey with his hands and ate as he went along. When he rejoined his parents, he gave them some, and they too ate it. But he did not tell them that he had taken the honey from the lion’s carcass."

Judges 14: 19 "19 Then the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him. He went down to Ashkelon, struck down thirty of their men, stripped them of everything and gave their clothes to those who had explained the riddle. Burning with anger, he returned to his father’s home."

Judges 15: 14-15 "14 As he approached Lehi, the Philistines came toward him shouting. The Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him. The ropes on his arms became like charred flax, and the bindings dropped from his hands. 15 Finding a fresh jawbone of a donkey, he grabbed it and struck down a thousand men."

Judges 15:4-5 "4 So he went out and caught three hundred foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to every pair of tails, 5 lit the torches and let the foxes loose in the standing grain of the Philistines. He burned up the shocks and standing grain, together with the vineyards and olive groves."

Tearing apart a Lion with your bear hands and eating honey from its ripped open carcass? Stripping dead men? Setting 300 foxes on fire?  Wrecking thousands of people with a jawbone?  Sounds like an R rating or bust to me!

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Tearing apart a Lion with your bear hands and eating honey from its ripped open carcass? Stripping dead men? Setting 300 foxes on fire?  Wrecking thousands of people with a jawbone?  Sounds like an R rating or bust to me!

I'm sure the editors can figure something out. They can imply those things without showing those things, for sure. Cinematic language can do wonders in the hands of creative people. I'm not writing this film off just because it's a potentially-on-the-harder-side PG-13.

Judges 15:4-5 "4 So he went out and caught three hundred foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to every pair of tails, 5 lit the torches and let the foxes loose in the standing grain of the Philistines. He burned up the shocks and standing grain, together with the vineyards and olive groves."

:angry:   

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

:angry:   

De Mille wisely left out that part in his version.

it's like the recent Ben Hur:They are trying to do a film on a small budget that requires a big  budget to pull off.

I also love the way some Chistians here seem to think that  Christianity has a monopoly on the Old Testament..........

• Like 2

Watched the trailer, disappointing.  Not historically accurate.  There weren’t enough dead Philistines, no foxes were set on fire and Delilah was a shady prostitute not a real lover!  You can’t humanize the shady woman!

This will bomb now, under Black Panther!!