Plain Old Tele

Kong: Skull Island (2017)

Kong: Skull Island  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

On 12/6/2017 at 6:07 AM, Goffe said:

Absurdly amateurish. Editing, sound, score, characters, camera work, use of soundtrack are all EASY contenders for worst of the year. I'm not kidding, the craft here is Uwe Boll level of bad. 

Kong hits rock bottom for these movies meant to spawn a shared. It honestly feels built around trailer moments.

Truly appalling stuff. 1/10

Finally we agree on something!

This was just as mediocre as Godzilla. It is less boring than Godzilla but Godzilla had impressive visuals and some breathtaking compositions while Kong is visually boring and occasionaly ugly. Both don't even have a single interesting character though, so the universe is consistent in that regard.

Jackson's Kong is way way superior than this.

C-.

Very entertaining film. It's got style and moves at a fast pace. Although I wouldn't say the characters are great, they are good enough that I'm invested in their fates (which is more than I can say for some of these monster movies). Samuel L. Jackson's villain was a highlight, you can tell that he had a lot of fun with that role. I do wish though that the action hadn't peaked early with the first encounter with Kong, everything after that kinda pales in comparison. I loved the auroras on Skull Island and I liked that they used different ancient species than just dinosaurs. Overall it was very solid throughout although I wouldn't say it ever quite reached great. B+