That One Girl

Den of Thieves | 1/19/18 | STX | Starring Gerard Butler of Geostorm fame

The problem with being glib about this is that we don’t live in a world where our relationship with the police is an easy one. It’s certainly not a binary “cops/good, criminals/bad” world, and police violence being tied to right-wing politics is starting to become a bigger story, as it’s clear there was a concentrated effort to turn many police departments into militarized white supremacy groups. For all of the hundreds of thousands of genuinely dedicated men and women around our country who joined the police force to protect and serve their communities, people who voluntarily put themselves in harm’s way for everyone’s good, there are an unfortunately high number of people who hide behind the badge as a justification for violence and abuse. And when we reached a scene in this film where Butler’s character is trying to convince bartender Donnie (O’Shea Jackson Jr.) to flip on the crew he’s working for, using a choke hold to make a point, I was done with this film as entertainment.

DON'T HOLD BACK

Looks like another failed attempt to have another "Heat".

Even Michael Mann tried to have another Cat And Mouse cops and robbers thriller with "Public Enemies" but did not get near to  the quality of "Heat". "Public Enemies" was a decent film, but no "Heat".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Small piece of interesting trivia is that the director is the son of Young and the Restless' Victor Newman, who is played by Eric Braeden.  He was also in Titanic as JJ Astor.  He also has a small role in this film.

I can‘t judge if the target audience cares about politics when it comes to this film, no idea, but people for sure don‘t care about the not so great reviews ;).
When I read several predictions for this movie around 6 or 7M OW I was really suprised because IMO the trailer - if you like such films - looked good and had a very fitting soundtrack.

Its RT Audience Score is surprisingly good with 84% and 4.2/5 so far.
The imdb rating (7.2/10) doesn‘t mean much at the moment with only 274 votes but that‘s still a good sign.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, WrathOfHan said:

I didn't expect this to have such a political leaning :ohmygod: 

I don't think it does. Seems to be the opposite actually which, according to Drew, is repugnant in a world where so much police brutality occurs on an almost daily basis.