aabattery

I, Tonya | Limited release December 8 2017 | Margot Robbie stars in biopic directed by Craig Gillespie (d. of Mr. Woodcock, 2007) | going for them oscars and what not

Janney's chances won't get affected at all by a Netflix acquisition. Hong Chau is gonna get thinkpiece'd out of the race and Melissa Leo's chances of getting nominated are starting to go away. There really aren't a whole lot of other people contending for a nomination let alone win. Allison Janney is a very well-respected actress in the industry, and I doubt Netflix would interfere with that. Robbie and Stan's chances could get affected, but who honestly knows at this point.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 5:40 PM, Cochofles said:

WTF? I am quite surprised by those notices.

I did not expect this film to become some sort of awards contender.

Janney is expected to get extraordinary reviews, but if Robbie gets an Oscar nomination (a fitting addition to her ascendant starpower), they fucking need to finally get moving with the Gotham City Sirens thing (I hope).

Right?

Could you imagine the salt blizzard if she pulled an upset and shut out a certain other blonde actress in her 20's? oh brother!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Could you imagine the salt blizzard if she pulled an upset and shut out a certain other blonde actress in her 20's? oh brother!

If all actresses in their 20s were shut out I'd throw a party. :ph34r:

I still can't get over Hollywood's idea of depicting a short stocky self described redneck who was always on the outside looking in despite her talent and power because she wasn't beautiful or elegant enough for the traditionalists and snobs  in the sport is to cast Margot Robbie in the role and have her wear a bad wig.

Still, sounds entertaining.

• Like 1

Interesting.  If Deadline's earlier article is true they wound up with less than the $6m Blind Buy bid CBS Film was offering before it screened

http://deadline.com/2017/09/toronto-film-festival-hot-titles-margot-robbie-christian-bale-1202163868/

There was a mad flurry around I, Tonya, the drama that stars Margot Robbie as disgraced Olympic figure skater Tonya Harding, with CBS Films allegedly putting up a blind bid around the $6 million Miramax paid to acquire the movie. Before other buyers could bid up that price, the sellers shut it down and decided no dealing until the movie premieres Friday night. The decisionmaker on this is Miramax’s Bill Block, with UTA and CAA co-repping domestic. The expectation is a bidding battle that should have the film skating into awards season before the weekend is over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Interesting.  If Deadline's earlier article is true they wound up with less than the $6m Blind Buy bid CBS Film was offering before it screened

http://deadline.com/2017/09/toronto-film-festival-hot-titles-margot-robbie-christian-bale-1202163868/

Guessing they have a back end deal depending on box office which CBS did not provide in their blind buy.

58 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Guessing they have a back end deal depending on box office which CBS did not provide in their blind buy.

The blind buy option must have went away the minute it played to buyers, the rumors are the CBS offer went down to 2M once the movie went on open sales.

• Like 1

I have to wonder how many movies will do this in the future, eschew Netflix deals for theatrical release. Netflix needs to show they can get serious awards consideration and soon. Amazon's advantage currently is that they honor a theatrical window, won't be surprised if Big Sick gets them some noms and awards this year as well.

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I have to wonder how many movies will do this in the future, eschew Netflix deals for theatrical release. Netflix needs to show they can get serious awards consideration and soon. Amazon's advantage currently is that they honor a theatrical window, won't be surprised if Big Sick gets them some noms and awards this year as well.

Birth of a Nation did the same, take FSL lower offer over Netflix (in hindsight for that movie I could imagine some of them regretting not going with quiet streaming platform route instead of the extremely noisy, high click-bait theatrical/award season one).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I still can't get over Hollywood's idea of depicting a short stocky self described redneck who was always on the outside looking in despite her talent and power because she wasn't beautiful or elegant enough for the traditionalists and snobs  in the sport is to cast Margot Robbie in the role and have her wear a bad wig.

I know that many people are turned off by Amy Schumer, but at least based on looks alone, I would have expected her to be part of the conversation when a Tonya Harding biofilm was discussed. 

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Not sure about Hollywood or "cast" really work here, look to me something Robbie did and cast herself in the role of the movie she made happen.

Neon is still very new but I'm sure they'll pull their resources together to give this a good marketing push, especially with the Olympics coming up. Should make August: Osage County or Wild numbers (movies that got lone Best Actress/Supporting Actress nominations from this decade) with $35-40M total at least, with a chance of more if Janney becomes the frontrunner (which is possible).