aabattery

I, Tonya | Limited release December 8 2017 | Margot Robbie stars in biopic directed by Craig Gillespie (d. of Mr. Woodcock, 2007) | going for them oscars and what not

I saw it at The Hampton's Film Festival, and people are ecstatic about it. Margot Robbie is actually great in it. The movie has an extreme possibility to win both actress Oscars next year. The Bad Batch tarnishes Neon a bit, but they have released really great movies this year between Colossal, I, Tonya, and Ingrid Goes West. I saw Gemini at SXSW, and that is also a really engaging movie. Gemini is actually one of the best movies that I have seen this year, but it is released theatrically next year. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I saw it at The Hampton's Film Festival, and people are ecstatic about it. Margot Robbie is actually great in it. The movie has an extreme possibility to win both actress Oscars next year. The Bad Batch tarnishes Neon a bit, but they have released really great movies this year between Colossal, I, Tonya, and Ingrid Goes West. I saw Gemini at SXSW, and that is also a really engaging movie. Gemini is actually one of the best movies that I have seen this year, but it is released theatrically next year. 

Thanks for your input! :) I think this has a great shot at taking 2 acting awards too. It's a quirky biopic so AMPAS fave genre and yet not the traditional, by-the-book thing that frequently gets backlash (TIG&TOE, for example). Margot is the new star rising peaking at the right time playing an iconic character (plus all-important de-glam). Janney is the most buzzed about bad mom since Mo'nique. I'm a getting DBC vibe (small movie that could, 2 acting wins, picture nom). 

10 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Still think Hawkins is more likely to win Actress since she's been around longer and has her own showy challenge playing a mute character. Robbie might be #2 though.

Sally Hawkins is gimmicky to me in that movie. I am not big on the movie overall either. I saw it at Telluride, but the fact that it did not even place at Toronto is a bit revealing. Frances McDormand is also strong, but I prefer Margot Robbie. I see Molly's game in a couple weeks, but I have been hearing great things about Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba. They apparently have the huge monologues that Sorkin usually writes and are very showy. I give the edge to Margot Robbie right now.         

Edited by PenguinHyphy

Kate Winslet will apparently be a contender for "Wonder Wheel" as well.

Could be a crowded com;etiion, with no clear favorite.

I would give a slight edge to Chaistain, since she seems to be "Overdue" for an Oscar. She has built up a solid body of work...and although the Oscar is for a single performance,don't think "body of work" does not enter into the minds of many voters. Winslet has her Oscar, and Robbie is new and will have plenty of chances in the future. Voters might well decice it's Chaistain's time.

For those of you who don't remember, a good short version of the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan scandal:

http://www.eonline.com/news/888407/nightmare-on-ice-how-tonya-harding-became-the-forever-villain-to-nancy-kerrigan-s-olympic-hero-in-one-whirlwind-month-of-madness

Black Comedy,with a good dash of Coen brs Dumb Criminals ,was the only way to go with this.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1