cannastop

Best Screenplays 2017 (Original and Adapted)

1 minute ago, spaghetti! said:

Could LOST CITY OF Z make a resurgence and get an Adapted Screenplay nod? There’s only three surefire noms in the category so far, and this could show up if BST makes a decent campaign.

I thought it was Amazon who was really behind that movie? It's probably their #2 now behind The Big Sick (after Last Flag Flying and Wonder Wheel semi-faltered).

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I thought it was Amazon who was really behind that movie? It's probably their #2 now behind The Big Sick (after Last Flag Flying and Wonder Wheel semi-faltered).

I mean, I can’t see it go further than Adapted Screenplay and Cinematography (maybe costume design) but I think it can show up here if the category is this weak.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Panda said:

I think OS is too packed for Coco to get in.  I mean it's always a possibility but it's difficult when there are already 8 movies or so gunning for a slot.

Yeah, Coco's chances are very slim. Reviews while strong aren't exactly Inside Out level of praise either. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/darkest-hour-three-billboards-wga-awards-not-eligible-1202631189/

Darkest Hour and Three Billboards aren't eligible for the WGA Awards (and also Coco and a few other movies, but no one cares about them, so...)

Keep in mind though that being ineligible doesn't automatically shut scripts out of the Oscar race.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BardCrank said:

AS looks like a desert 

To me, that makes it much more of an exciting race. Sure, there's only three surefire selections, but there's also a bevy of interesting choices they could make for the other two nominees here.

8 minutes ago, slambros said:

Or Lady Bird vs 3 Billboards vs Get Out

Or Lady Bird vs 3 Billboards vs Get Out vs The Post :sparta: 

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I ain't buying Three Billboards as a winner. Not saying it doesn't have a shot and I'll admit my own feelings are probably clouding my judgment, but I think it's gonna be too divisive to win anything.

It's Gerwig's to lose. 

I'm not buying Lady Bird as a BP winner because I don't have Gerwig winning either of her categories. It absolutely needs to win here to win BP.

8 minutes ago, slambros said:

Or Lady Bird vs 3 Billboards vs Get Out

Thing is , you win best picture only if you win screenplay ( let's forget that the artist happened ) , since all of those are original ( adapted is empty )  and I really don't see get out winning BP it is therefor Lady Bird vs 3 billboards 

but that's my take on the subject 

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not buying Lady Bird as a BP winner because I don't have Gerwig winning either of her categories. It absolutely needs to win here to win BP.

I totally agree it needs to win here to win BP. I think it's the current front-runner for BP but we know that can change next week. I'd say it's firmly in front for Screenplay and Supporting Actress at the moment.

Sofia Coppola winning here comes to mind. They wanted to reward her and that'll likely be the case for Gerwig. If she gets a Director snub, her chances will only increase in my mind.

• Like 2