Impact

Best actor predictions-2017

Yep-now time to predict the 5 men you think will be nominated, while in reality you probably will only get 1 or 2 at most right at this point! (Really if anyone gets 4 or 5 right at this point...)

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Lol, these predictions will be trash.

Chadwick Boseman, Marshall

Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

Tom Hanks, The Post

Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Denzel Washington, Inner City

I don't think Inner City is coming out this year. If it is, Denzel and Colin Farrell seem like shoe-ins for nominations. 

34 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think Inner City is coming out this year. If it is, Denzel and Colin Farrell seem like shoe-ins for nominations. 

it doesn't start filming for another couple weeks so it'll be tight. from all the interviews about the film it sounds like they want it to be seen as an "awards film" and sony don't have anything else they can position as such this year so they might rush it out. 

http://variety.com/2017/film/in-contention/midway-oscars-forecast-indies-streaming-platforms-1202477799/

Kristopher Tapley's Midway Oscar forecast is up, and while most of it is just "here's the contenders," there's a nice little trinket of info about Detroit.

Will Poulter is said to be the stand-out as a sadistic police officer, but John Boyega is called on to anchor the proceedings in lead.

First predictions:

Timothee Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name

Bryan Cranston, Last Flag Flying

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread (or whatever it's called since Focus still lists it as untitled)

Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel Esq.

Although I could see Tom Hanks enter as well. Certainly he has to get nominated again at some point, right?

1. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

2. Daniel Day-Lewis, Untitled PTA Joint

3. Bryan Cranston, Last Flag Flying

4. Timothee Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name

5. Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

6. Tom Hanks, The Post

7. Javier Bardem, mother!

8. Matt Damon, Downsizing

9. James Franco, The Disaster Artist

10. Andrew Garfield, Breathe

Sounds like Oldman delivers in The Darkest Hour and will only lose if he says something controversial from now to next March, or less likely (IMO), the "Churchill is #problematic" narrative takes off. John Lithgow has won a lot of awards for playing him in the outrage era, but that's TV and attention gets divided a lot more than with the Oscar race. Also, Oldman went off about the Golden Globes a few years ago, it will be fun to see if they snub him for a nomination even as he's the Oscar frontrunner. .

Here.

This is your likely Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar (and likely third acting Oscar ever given posthumously)...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lucky_2017

"Everything Harry Dean Stanton has done in his career, and his life, has brought him to his moment of triumph in "Lucky," an unassumingly wonderful little film about nothing in particular and everything that's important."

The Hollywood Reporter

“Lucky” is something a good deal more substantial than the cinematic equivalent of a lifetime achievement award. It’s also a stealthily affecting and unpretentiously thoughtful meditation on community and mortality, and existential dread and transcendence, in the form of a richly amusing shaggy-dog story that features Stanton’s finest performance since “Paris, Texas.”

Variety

Time for an update. Roman J. Israel, Esq. is a nonstarter so Denzel's not happening in all likelihood. Feeling good about Gyllenhaal, though. He's got the raves, is somewhat overdue for a second nomination, and the box office will likely be on the decent side for Stronger's type of release.

Bryan Cranston, Last Flag Flying

Daniel Day-Lewis, Untitled PTA Project

Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger

Oldman's likely gonna win this.

10 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Gyllenhaal is SUPERB in STRONGER. U think he stands a great shot at a nom.

Unless the film is completely ignored at the box office, I think he's in. It's the kind of role they gravitate towards acknowledging, unlike Nightcrawler, which was a pure genre movie.

I'm crossing fingers for Franco (Disaster Artist) to get in. 

Gyllenhall is in cause he has a text book Oscar bait role. Disability, histrionics, long suffering wife. I'm sure he's great and he was robbed for Nightcrawler. 

That said, Oldman is winning for uber Oscar bait, sigh.

Edited by Valonqar

With Last Flag Flying looking to be a nonstarter, I don't think Carell (or anyone from the film) is going anywhere for it.

New predictions:

Daniel Day-Lewis, Untitled PTA

Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger

Tom Hanks, The Post