Impact

Best actor predictions-2017

Yea I mean that's not journalism guys. Not that I'm pre-emptively defending Franco or that I won't believe women if they come forward (I will), but the reason sexual assault is finally getting a just conversation is terrific reporting by credible journalists. This is from a site called Blind Gossip. Different things. We'll see. 

• Like 10

He said, “I was in a bad place” and “I never meant to hurt you” and “I am a changed man.” Lmao.

The above words are an excerpt from the page, and to me, whoever the author is seems extremely spiteful and unforgiving. What Franco did was wrong if this is all true. But if he is truly saying sorry for his actions (unlike other creatives like Spacey), then maybe we should let this go.

This would be extremely crushing for this to happen now, so the question then becomes this: if the victims choose to accuse him knowing that allegations would fall onto Franco, then who in the scenario is in the wrong? The former wrongdoer who is now truly sorry, or the victim who has the option of a self-gratifying revenge? 

Granted, I don't know the full story. Maybe Franco is forgiven and nothing comes of this. Maybe the writer of the 'article' is compeletly fabricating the whole story for the sole purpose of getting clicks.

But one thing is for certain: it would be horrible to have this happen to such a passionate filmmaker who we were all rooting for.

The easy way to avoid this situation for creatives is not to partake in these nasty actions at all. It's a shame that some chose their actions poorly.

Here's my stance. Should he receive justice for what he did? Yes. Should he receive forgiveness? Yes. He should receive both. In other words, his life doesn't have to be ruined.

Edited by slambros

5 hours ago, slambros said:

He said, “I was in a bad place” and “I never meant to hurt you” and “I am a changed man.” Lmao.

The above words are an excerpt from the page, and to me, whoever the author is seems extremely spiteful and unforgiving. What Franco did was wrong if this is all true. But if he is truly saying sorry for his actions (unlike other creatives like Spacey), then maybe we should let this go.

This would be extremely crushing for this to happen now, so the question then becomes this: if the victims choose to accuse him knowing that allegations would fall onto Franco, then who in the scenario is in the wrong? The former wrongdoer who is now truly sorry, or the victim who has the option of a self-gratifying revenge? 

Granted, I don't know the full story. Maybe Franco is forgiven and nothing comes of this. Maybe the writer of the 'article' is compeletly fabricating the whole story for the sole purpose of getting clicks.

But one thing is for certain: it would be horrible to have this happen to such a passionate filmmaker who we were all rooting for.

The easy way to avoid this situation for creatives is not to partake in these nasty actions at all. It's a shame that some chose their actions poorly.

Here's my stance. Should he receive justice for what he did? Yes. Should he receive forgiveness? Yes. He should receive both. In other words, his life doesn't have to be ruined.

I'm not buying  into anything from Blind Gossip but no way in hell if he did this shit (to 17 and 18 year students no less) does he deserve forgiveness from anyone but the victims - it's theirs to give.

If it's true and his life is ruined it's from his own actions.  He's a grown man, not a child.  These kind of actions hurt and ruin the lives of others and yes they deserve justice.   

Read the NY Times article on James Levine and what he did to students and protegees. In the current reported cases it's been 30-50 years and they still live with the fallout from Levine's predatory behavior and abuse.  The humiliation, the pain, the damage to their self worth and/or the negative effect on their careers has lasted decades while Levine's flourished and been coddled and protected because of his talent as everyone whispered about the "open secret".   It's abominable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I'm not buying  into anything from Blind Gossip but no way in hell if he did this shit (to 17 and 18 year students no less) does he deserve forgiveness from anyone but the victims - it's theirs to give.

If it's true and his life is ruined it's from his own actions.  He's a grown man, not a child.  These kind of actions hurt and ruin the lives of others and yes they deserve justice.   

Read the NY Times article on James Levine and what he did to students and protegees. In the current reported cases it's been 30-50 years and they still live with the fallout from Levine's predatory behavior and abuse.  The humiliation, the pain, the damage to their self worth and/or the negative effect on their careers has lasted decades while Levine's flourished and been coddled and protected because of his talent as everyone whispered about the "open secret".   It's abominable.

I agree with all of what you said. I absolutely believe Franco's actions absolutely deserve justice if he did commit them. Such actions are abominable, egregious, heinous, and just plain sinful. It's wrong to do such thing. And those effects that such a thing has on victims is horrible.

Here's the point where I relate it to God (in a scholarly sense that helps get my point across). The Bible says that those who ask for forgiveness from their sins shall receive it; in other words, those that recognize their sinful ways and wish to turn away from them can do so by accepting Jesus as their Lord and as their Savior, and trusting in him alone for salvation.

But we all know what the Bible says will happens to the people who don't ask for forgiveness, correct?

Let's reel it back to our present time, to this present situation. We see many of the people who have received allegations- many of them who do not necessarily have remorse for their heinous actions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are quite a few of the accused producers, actors, and filmmakers who still haven't apologized for their wrongdoings (again, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow the news too specifically). And for many of these accused, their careers are done. Kevin Spacey's career is done, for instance.

But Franco's alleged remarks make this situation a little different for me.

"He said, “I was in a bad place” and “I never meant to hurt you” and “I am a changed man.”"

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is a plea for mercy. The plea for mercy that requires a pre-punishment subsiding of one's pride. The plea for mercy that many of the other accused people failed to have so much as the desire to make. (Again, correct me if I am wrong, I do not know much.)

Now, I turn my head towards the potential victims who might accuse him. They absolutely have every right to go through with this. But they need to evaluate with themselves whether or not this is justice or revenge. Whether or not one believes in the Word of the Bible, they must acknowledge that it says hatred is equal to murder for some sort of reason- that was unquestionably written for a reason. There's also a reason why it says revenge is God's to give.

Now, I have no way of knowing what God is doing in this situation. Maybe he is righting wrongs by leading victims to expose their assaulters.

I don't know. It's just that we're at a point in this time of allegations where people conflicted with the choice of speaking up know exactly what will happen to the assaulter if they are accused.

Here's two verses of a Christian-contemporary song ("Forgiveness" by Matthew West) that can explain my feelings about this better than I can myself.

It’s the hardest thing to give away
And the last thing on your mind today
It always goes to those that don’t deserve

It’s the opposite of how you feel
When the pain they caused is just too real
It takes everything you have just to say the word…

Forgiveness
Forgiveness

It flies in the face of all your pride
It moves away the mad inside
It’s always anger’s own worst enemy
Even when the jury and the judge
Say you gotta right to hold a grudge
It’s the whisper in your ear saying ‘Set It Free’

Forgiveness, Forgiveness

If I were wronged in a way that was beyond my imagination, I think the first thing I would feel is a sense that I need to really let the wrongdoers have it.  But the story of Jesus is a great example of forgiveness. It's the burden of all of man's sins being placed on the Son of God so we don't have to carry the weight and we don't have to spend eternity separated from God. And I think if the perfect Son of God can forgive us enough to bear the weight of all of my sins and all of my wrongdoing, then I think I am at least capable of forgiving someone who does unspeakable wrongs to me.

I'm a naive college freshman, but I believe that anyone can change. I believe anyone can turn away from their sins. So it's the victim's choice if they want to go through with allegations that Franco, if he did this, 100% deserves. But there's something off about the dead-on perfect timing of this potential story (during awards season) that makes me stop and say "wait a second", because rubbing a wrongdoing in someone's face, like I think they might be salivating over the prospect of hearing him apart in the most "glamorous" way possible, doesn't feel right to me. That feels like the victims have let their hatred consume them, and, spiritually speaking, that's never a good thing.

There's more to a man than his actions. It's why we prefer complex characters over simple ones. It's also why I think if- and only if- Franco is putting his pride away, humbly apologizing, and legitimately asking for mercy...

...Then maybe, just maybe, forgiveness should at the very least be considered.

But in a Best Picture sense, The Disaster Artist was always a fringe competitor to begin with. If this story breaks out, this film will undoubtedly have no chance whatsoever at a Best Picture nomination.

2 hours ago, BardCrank said:

With the " the post " reviews being good but not mind blowing , Hanks seems like he will continue his streak of being outside the top 5 come nomination morning 

I still think he's going to miss, too. To be honest, I'd love to see a more exciting nomination. Tom Hanks is absolutely great, but he doesn't necessarily need an Oscar nomination to bolster his career or anything. He's already A-list, and he's still reliable for box office, even without frequent nominations. I would much rather see Jake Gyllenhaal or Daniel Kaluuya or Robert Pattinson or even Harry Dean Stanton make the list instead.

I think Hanks misses and Kaluuya gets in.  If they wouldn't nominate Hanks for Sully, Bridge of Spies, Captain Phillips or Saving Mr Banks they won't nominate him for The Post (especially when he's not consistently getting into the precursors so far, which I think he'd need to given how the Academy's been ignoring him)

I wish Hugh Jackman or Ryan Gosling could exploit the relative thinness of this field and break through for their stellar genre work, but alas.

Kaluuya keeps looking like a better and better bet by the day. Honestly, with the love Get Out is getting, I would put him ahead of Franco even if nothing comes of the allegations posted earlier on this page.

As more time goes by, I doubt Hanks gets in. The fact that he couldn’t get in for his last three major dramatic roles (Captain Phillips, Bridge of Spies, and Sully) - especially when he actually was the star of those movies, spells trouble for another nomination. It’s a shame because he legitimately deserved a nomination for all of these (even for the otherwise mediocre Sully).

Oldman, Chalamet, Franco are probably safely in. I’m still not certain if Phantom Thread could go the way of Inherent Vice, but DDL still is very probable to get in. Hoping Kaluuya is the last nomination.