Impact

Best actress predictions-2017

1 hour ago, stripe said:

This is one of the most exciting races. Fierce competition, huge contenders behind the top 5. My line-up, ATM

Sally Hawkins (stellar reviews in a BP contender)

Frances Mc Dormand (stellar reviews in a BP contender)

Margot Robbie (breakout performance, ina prestige film + biopic)

Meryl Streep (goddess. Living legend. In a prestige film likely nom. December hype. Biopic)

Saoirse Ronan (making history. They really love her. Stellar reviews. In a BP contender)

I think this is our line-up. The Post trailer has just confirmed what we knew already that Meryl is in so that's that. 

I'd just add to Saoirse advantage that her movie is directed by a woman and this year with HarveyGate is going to reap advantages for movies about women, directed by women, etc. heck, The Post trailer is big on "men try to destroy a brave woman but she fights back, saves the country from government oppression". So yeah, it's a big point for Saoirse. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

This is woman's year, and I am really happy with that.

Usually, the Best Actress lineup was filled with minor films without more than a couple of noms. This year we have a possible Best Picture lineup with a healthy portion of leading woman films: The Post, Shape of Water, Lady Bird, 3 billboards... And maybe I, Tonya. Even Wonder Woman could take a lot of noms.

This year is a tough one. There is no one standout above the rest this time that's dominating chatter. Fronrunners will be clearer after various critic awards are out but I feel like for this category they're going to be pretty varied this time.

last year, out of 5 nominees, 2 have won before for best actress, and 3 never won with 2 never even get nominated.

same goes to 88th oscar, 2 out of 5 have never been nominated, that is still the same for 87th oscar. 

When we look at the potential list this year, the list are full of past winner or nominees, is it really a case that no newcomers to sneak into the race this year? 

50 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

last year, out of 5 nominees, 2 have won before for best actress, and 3 never won with 2 never even get nominated.

same goes to 88th oscar, 2 out of 5 have never been nominated, that is still the same for 87th oscar. 

When we look at the potential list this year, the list are full of past winner or nominees, is it really a case that no newcomers to sneak into the race this year? 

Margot Robbie stands the strongest chance among newcomers entering this category.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sally Hawkins for all awards. She really kills it in The Shape of Water.

I’m starting to think that maybe she’s our winner. It’s a very unique type of role, yet she’s always been able to add subtlety and nuance to anything she can do.

The big threat may be seeing how The Post does, but I’d feel safe putting her above Ronan and McDormand.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Michelle Williams is getting really fantastic ink for All the Money in the World. Too bad Actress is so stacked and the movie is landing so late for her to really kick anyone out. Maybe Robbie? I don't know.

At this rate, she'd kick out Streep; notable snubs and so-so reviews might lead to that surprise.

On 3/29/2017 at 2:57 AM, CoolioD1 said:

judi dench, victoria and abdul

rooney mara, mary magdalene 

frances mcdormand, billboard something something

emma stone, battle of the sexes

meryl streep, the post

hey for march it's not too bad i guess. mary magdalene is the only total bust. 

Final predictions:

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Meryl Streep, The Post

Pretty much it, really. Haven't seen Robbie or Streep's films yet but I'm sad that Jessica Chastain didn't get more attention for her work in Molly's Game.

On 12/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, filmlover said:

Too bad Actress is so stacked and the movie is landing so late for her to really kick anyone out. Maybe Robbie? I don't know.

No. Hard no. 

I cant imagine anyone giving more full realized, capicating, and heartbreaking performance than Margot Robbie this year. She wasn’t just acting and Tonya Harding. She WAS Tonya Harding. Holy Hell, her modern day interviews were EERIE. Way more that intimation, just stunning, stunning work. 

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I cant imagine anyone giving more full realized, capicating, and heartbreaking performance than Margot Robbie this year. She wasn’t just acting and Tonya Harding. She WAS Tonya Harding. Holy Hell, her modern day interviews were EERIE. Way more that intimation, just stunning, stunning work. 

• Haha 3

On 02/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, filmlover said:

Final predictions:

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Meryl Streep, The Post

Pretty much it, really. Haven't seen Robbie or Streep's films yet but I'm sad that Jessica Chastain didn't get more attention for her work in Molly's Game.

Ugh, Hawkins line delivery in SoW was not good.

McDormand has it pretty locked up at this stage. The only scenarios where she might lose are if The Shape of Water wins Best Picture, giving Hawkins a solid chance, or if Lady Bird wins Best Picture, ditto Ronan. Even then, it could just split.