Impact

Best supporting actor-2017

Stuhlbarg apparently has some really great moments in Call Me by Your Name. He's been giving very good work in supporting parts in films from notable directors ever since first gaining attention in A Serious Man, so he's most likely the film's best shot at an acting nom.

43 minutes ago, slambros said:

Timothee Chamalet, Call Me By Your Name

Michel Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name

John Hurt, The Darkest Hour

Patrick Stewart, Logan

Woody Harrelson, The Glass Castle

Patrick Stewart isn't happening. Best to nip that in the bud right now.

there's michael stuhlbarg for call me by your name yes, it feels like he's due a bit of recognition and he got good reviews. beyond that i actually have no idea who the other hypothetical contenders could be. maybe armie hammer for the same film? he woulda been nominated last year if it wasn't for all that noise surrounding birth of a nation. i didn't love that performance but it's sooooo what gets nominated here all the time.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's michael stuhlbarg for call me by your name yes, it feels like he's due a bit of recognition and he got good reviews. beyond that i actually have no idea who the other hypothetical contenders could be. maybe armie hammer for the same film? he woulda been nominated last year if it wasn't for all that noise surrounding birth of a nation. i didn't love that performance but it's sooooo what gets nominated here all the time.

Ben Mendelsohn could coattail but I get the sense that Darkest Hour is gonna be The Gary Oldman Show through and through. I think Colin Farrell has a solid shot at scoring a coattail nomination for Inner City if the film is released this year (which I think it will be since there's no obvious POC nominee this year).

mendelsohn had a really small part in that script maybe they boosted it but idk. i think i stopped reading inner city before farrell's character showed up so i don't know about that either :lol: .

if you're looking for POC nominees jason mitchell is supposed to have a nice part in mudbound. maybe someone from detroit too like john boyega but he might be the lead i think?

Edited by CoolioD1

Farrell supposedly has a very meaty role in Inner City and is somewhat overdue for a nomination, so I could see him winning providing IC is ready. I won't be surprised if The Disaster Artist has someone to contend in either supporting category either.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Farrell supposedly has a very meaty role in Inner City and is somewhat overdue for a nomination, so I could see him winning providing IC is ready. I won't be surprised if The Disaster Artist has someone to contend in either supporting category either.

well there's already reviews out there for disaster artist. seems like the franco show through and through. 

• Like 2

1. Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

2. Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me by Your Name

3. Colin Farrell, Inner City

4. Woody Harrelson, The Glass Castle

5. Daniel Craig, Logan Lucky

I'm thinking Craig pulls a RDJ.

Edited by WrathOfHan

RDJ was riding the comeback wave with a commercially successful Hollywood satire and had no serious non-Ledger competition. Craig is playing a wacky character in a small Soderbergh heist flick. Even if he actually deserves the nom (wouldn't shock me) I don't think AMPAS will care. 

31 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

RDJ was riding the comeback wave with a commercially successful Hollywood satire and had no serious non-Ledger competition. Craig is playing a wacky character in a small Soderbergh heist flick. Even if he actually deserves the nom (wouldn't shock me) I don't think AMPAS will care. 

This.

So far I'm thinking the nominees will be Dafoe, Stuhlbarg, and Colin Farrell (for Inner City or whatever they're calling it now, he's on something of a good run right now and could easily coattail in behind Denzel if the film delivers). Who knows, maybe Armie Hammer will end up gaining traction though I feel like there's bound to be debate over whether he's lead or supporting.