Impact

Best supporting actor-2017

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Judging by the first reactions, Cranston in Last Flag Flying doesn't seem to happen. Even people who liked the movie think he's too hammy. Fishburne also hasn't gotten much notices or attention, so he's probably out of the race as well.

I agree, Last Flag Flying isn't getting bad reviews but the reactions are clearly lacking in passion. Don't think it's gonna make the cut for anything in the end.

Time for updated predictions:

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Armie Hammer, Call Me by Your Name

Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me by Your Name

1. Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards

2. Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

3. Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me by Your Name

4. Michael Shannon, The Shape of Water

5. Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

6. Kevin Spacey, All the Money in the World

7. Armie Hammer, Call Me by Your Name

8. Idris Elba, Molly's Game

9. Sebastian Stan, I, Tonya

10. Ben Mendelsohn, Darkest Hour

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

1. Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards

2. Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

3. Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me by Your Name

4. Michael Shannon, The Shape of Water

5. Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

6. Kevin Spacey, All the Money in the World

7. Armie Hammer, Call Me by Your Name

8. Idris Elba, Molly's Game

9. Sebastian Stan, I, Tonya

10. Ben Mendelsohn, Darkest Hour

This looks pretty accurate (though I'm skeptical of All the Money in the World given Ridley's track record since the turn of the century and don't think Sebastian Stan is coming anywhere near an Oscar nomination lol) though I have Call Me by Your Name as the movie that's getting double nominations in this category (the first time that's happened since...when?) instead of The Shape of Water. The former feels like another Brokeback Mountain/Carol situation to me where both members of the central queer romance end up getting nominated (along with Stuhlbarg, who will be in potentially three Best Picture nominees). I was kind of split on whether to give Jenkins or Shannon (or both) a slot but went with Jenkins, it's been almost a decade since his first nomination while Shannon just picked up his second nomination last year.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Unlikely, it doesn't even have a US release date (and its studio is IFC Films so it won't get much of a release).

I'm just still salty over the Capaldi snub for In the Loop. I mean, look at 2009's lineup for Supporting Actor. Get Tucci and Damon the hell outta there, and while Plummer was good, I don't think he was that good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

I'm just still salty over the Capaldi snub for In the Loop. I mean, look at 2009's lineup for Supporting Actor. Get Tucci and Damon the hell outta there, and while Plummer was good, I don't think he was that good.

That was a super dead year for this category, for sure. I can't even remember who was in sixth place. Probably nobody.

14 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I respectfully disagree about Tucci. The Lovely Bones was a riveting film, and Tucci's performance was one that really drew me in. Though I was pretty young when I saw it, I'll admit.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Octavia Spencer will prevent that.

If 3 Acting cats are all white and you have one minority nominated in supporting actress, there'll still be a diversity problem (there still is technically.  In every cat, the average should be 2 minorities, 3 whites.  Most cats are still white and white male dominated)

There are some strong minority options.  Especially if Mudbound gets traction.  The only acting cat that doesn't have at least one great minority option is actress.