Impact

Best visual effects predictions-2017

In my opinion, Ghost in the Shell was snubbed. If the film as a whole wasn't negatively affected by the whitewashing scandal thingamajig, then it would've been on this list for sure.

I think we can all agree on four films that are incredibly likely to receive a nomination. Those films are:

Blade Runner 2049

The Shape of Water

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

So that leaves the last spot up for grabs.

I'm not necessarily rooting for Dunkirk because, even though it's one of my favorite films of the year, many of its shots were practical. It'd be great for Dunkirk to have as many nominations as possible, but I'd be fine without this getting into visual effects.

To be honest, the only shortlist entry I'm seriously thumbing down is Alien: Covenant. It has is moments, but most of its effects range from cookie-cutter to atrocious.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 does have some incredible moments in it. That wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

I haven't seen Kong: Skull Island. I'd have to see that first before stating whether or not it deserves a spot.

That leaves Valerian and Okja. Valerian is a gorgeous film from beginning to end; you can tell the worlds were painstakingly crafted. And Okja's VFX team had to absolutely nail it to make the film believable- and man, did they nail it. If I were choosing for the final spot, it'd be between those two. But even then, Valerian would win anyway because Okja is a Netflix film and the Oscars are still hesitant to reward Netflix with big category wins at the time being (I mean, First They Killed My Father was snubbed from the foreign shortlist for a reason...).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slambros said:

In my opinion, Ghost in the Shell was snubbed. If the film as a whole wasn't negatively affected by the whitewashing scandal thingamajig, then it would've been on this list for sure.

I think we can all agree on four films that are incredibly likely to receive a nomination. Those films are:

Blade Runner 2049

The Shape of Water

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

So that leaves the last spot up for grabs.

I'm not necessarily rooting for Dunkirk because, even though it's one of my favorite films of the year, many of its shots were practical. It'd be great for Dunkirk to have as many nominations as possible, but I'd be fine without this getting into visual effects.

To be honest, the only shortlist entry I'm seriously thumbing down is Alien: Covenant. It has is moments, but most of its effects range from cookie-cutter to atrocious.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 does have some incredible moments in it. That wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

I haven't seen Kong: Skull Island. I'd have to see that first before stating whether or not it deserves a spot.

That leaves Valerian and Okja. Valerian is a gorgeous film from beginning to end; you can tell the worlds were painstakingly crafted. And Okja's VFX team had to absolutely nail it to make the film believable- and man, did they nail it. If I were choosing for the final spot, it'd be between those two. But even then, Valerian would win anyway because Okja is a Netflix film and the Oscars are still hesitant to reward Netflix with big category wins at the time being (I mean, First They Killed My Father was snubbed from the foreign shortlist for a reason...).

For Dunkirk good practical effects do count. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

For Dunkirk good practical effects do count. 

Huh.

My root-for-the-underdogs mind keeps wanting to root for something else, but if they want to commemorate the practical effects, then I wouldn't be opposed to that.

This year's bake off makes me think we're going to have a crazy category (note the TLJ section in the article has spoilers if you somehow haven't seen it yet): https://www.nextbestpicture.com/latest/takeaways-from-the-2018-visual-effects-bake-off

Dunkirk's presentation was an absolute mess. The reel was poorly edited, and the achievements weren't played up enough.

Shape of Water had a great presentation, but voters were muted on it. Given it got shutout at VES, I don't think it can coattail here.

Alien's reel was memorable because it was VERY gory. This put off a bit of voters, but there were definitely others into it.

GOTG's reel was the most engaging one for the audience. 98% of shots used CGI, so that will definitely help its chances.

Kong had positive but un-noteworthy reactions. Keep in mind VES gave it a bunch of nominations.

Apes had some of the best reactions of the night.

Valerian's presentation was a bit choppy but breezy and showed off the sheer amount of CGI.

The Last Jedi had a meh response. A lot of voters felt it brought nothing new, and the reel was choppy.

Okja intrigued the audience a lot. One voter even said it could win.

Blade Runner was the movie the most voters were talking about.

Predictions:

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. War for the Planet of the Apes

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

4. Kong: Skull Island

5. Okja

6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

7. Valerian

8. Dunkirk

9. The Shape of Water

10. Alien: Covenant

• Like 1

With Shape of Water snubbed, I think Blade Runner 2049 will and should win handily.

But War of the Planet of the Apes is a great nomination. Very well deserved.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has a lot of great visuals moments; I'm happy it made it in.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi deserves its spot just for Vice Admiral Holdo's moment alone.

And Kong: Skull Island is well-deserved and very underrated. Not only do you have the giant CGI creatures; you also have the beautiful water effects in the final fight; great, very detailed finishing touches.

A very competent list of nominees overall, even if there are some notable snubs.