grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

11 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I guess I simply don't get the fascination of using studios or production companies for comps instead of actual talent involved. 

It is a first to me too, for people to look more at the studio than the director/producers.

All Thurber movie were really big success, including the one with Dwayne Johnson, the producers has a big track record of success too, the lead is arguably the biggest draw for a movie like that.

I'm not sure I agree that it has more going for it than San Andreas, the disaster movie style has been really good at the box office from time to time.

I guess that mean that the other disaster movie Rampage with Johnson will not happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Disney doesn't do original IPs. In either case, I'd bank on the talent involved, regardless. 

I have more box office faith in a Dwayne Johnson led disaster flick than another whitewashed manga adaptation. I could give two shits which studio it comes from.

• Like 4

Just now, Barnack said:

It is a first to me too, for people to look more at the studio than the director/producers.

All Thurber movie were really big success, including the one with Dwayne Johnson, the producers has a big track record of success too, the lead is arguably the biggest draw for a movie like that.

I'm not sure I agree that it has more going for it than San Andreas, the disaster movie style has been really good at the box office from time to time.

I guess that mean that the other disaster movie Rampage with Johnson will not happen.

He starts Rampage in April. It's already stacking up its cast.

This one films afterward.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I'm definitely not as negative on Alita as everyone else, but the path to success for this is much easier. 

I wouldn't say I'm overly negative on Alita so much as some are overly positive.

Edited by Jay Beezy

2 hours ago, TelemAAchos said:

I guess I simply don't get the fascination of using studios or production companies for comps instead of actual talent involved. 

Except if it is Lionsgate, I agree with this :ph34r:

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

If there are any action blockbusters likely to take a hit within this lineup, Alita is the most likely candidate. It has vain franchise starter written all over it.

4 hours ago, TelemAAchos said:

ALITA is a non-factor.

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Alita is DOA.  It is our mega bomb of 2018.

All likely true, but it's easily the one that I'm most excited for.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 6:28 PM, That One Guy said:

Let's put it this way: Are you more likely to be confident in an original Disney IP, or an original Paramount Ip?

Tomorrowland sort of kills your case.

• Like 2

This movie has The Rock in it, probably one of the few actors with star power. 

San Andreas (I greatly underestimated The Rock at the time) wouldn't have made half of it's DOM (155m!!!) w/o The Rock.

The Rock excels in action films because he's a badass. This is gonna do well, at least 90m. And it's gonna do well internationally, again, bc of the Rock.

Alita is gonna have less appeal because of the source material.