grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

So this opens against a horror movie and a threequel kids movie?  The Rock is going to be coming off of the success of Jumanji and presumably the success of Rampage.  

As @grim22 was mentioning today on what's app, this is almost a can't miss sure fire hit.  It has a kind of Die Hard vibe to it.  Should be a thrilling summer action film, the kind of film I live for, especially in the summer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, baumer said:

So this opens against a horror movie and a threequel kids movie?  The Rock is going to be coming off of the success of Jumanji and presumably the success of Rampage.  

As @grim22 was mentioning today on what's app, this is almost a can't miss sure fire hit.  It has a kind of Die Hard vibe to it.  Should be a thrilling summer action film, the kind of film I live for, especially in the summer.

YES

For awhile it's seemed like July would be kind of weak coming off of all the mega releases of May/June, but upon closer inspection it seems like it has the potential to be surprisingly big. AM2 should be aiming for 200-250, Mission 6 should hit 175-225, and Mamma Mia, The Nun, and this all have the potential to be 150+ breakouts. HT3 should easily clear 100 as well. Could be an exceptionally spread the wealth month. 

I think it's gonna be like The Towering Inferno. DJ rescuing people from a burning collapsing building. Add to that bad guys inside the building trying to rob a vault or something and he has to fight them too. Just a guess.

• Like 2

No hype for me. LOVE THE IDEA. But the director. mehhhh, guy did one half assed comedy film that looked like a TV movie and they give him this? 

Robert Elswit is shooting this though so who knows. But I expect very stock tv framing/editing in conversations. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

No hype for me. LOVE THE IDEA. But the director. mehhhh, guy did one half assed comedy film that looked like a TV movie and they give him this? 

Robert Elswit is shooting this though so who knows. But I expect very stock tv framing.editing in conversations. 

I mean, here's how he got the project:

Dodgeball - 114m / 167m WW

We're the Millers - 150m / 269m WW

Central Intelligence - 127m / 216m WW

Plus, good relationship with The Rock. They're not hiring these guys based on cinematic visual aesthetic.

• Like 2