franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | It’s got the PETA seal of quality!

http://www.cbr.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-confirmed-james-gunn/

If you were concerned about “Guardians of the Galaxy’s” future after “Vol. 2,” worry not: “Guardians of the Galaxy 3” is on the way. During an interview with Complex, director James Gunn was asked directly if there were any plans for a third “Guardians” film, and he confirmed that “Guardians 3” is part of Marvel’s plan.

“There will be a ‘Guardians 3,’ that’s for sure. We’re trying to figure it out,” Gunn revealed. “I’m trying to figure out what I want to do really, that’s all it is. I got to figure out where I want to be, what I want to spend the next three years of my life doing. You know, I’m going to make another big movie; is it the Guardians or something else? I’m just going to figure it out over the next couple of weeks.”

Gunn’s phrasing here is worth noting, as he makes “Guardians 3” sound definite, but not his involvement. As such, his response suggests that “Guardians 3” will move forward with or without him, though he is considering returning to the franchise.

Gunn’s response here is rather surprising, considering that he has spent most of the past year or so saying that he wasn’t sure if he’d come back for “Guardians 3.” Back in August 2016, Gunn was asked by a fan if “Guardians 3” was in the works, to which he responded, “There are no real plans, and I haven’t made up my mind yet what I’m doing next.” He also cast doubt on his involvement with a third “Guardians” film even after Aerosmith singer Steve Tyler expressed interest in a cameo. As such, Gunn’s most recent statement is a change in tune, but one that’s sure to thrill “Guardians of the Galaxy” fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AABATTERY said:

I hope they do Annihilation Wave.

I'm not sure they can. Annihilus is probably controlled by Fox. Although I suppose it could be a situation like with the Skrulls and the Maximoffs, where both studios can use them, but there could be some weird contextual requirements for each.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I'm not sure they can. Annihilus is probably controlled by Fox. Although I suppose it could be a situation like with the Skrulls and the Maximoffs, where both studios can use them, but there could be some weird contextual requirements for each.

If they really want to, I think they'll be able to sort something out. Everyone thought Spider-Man would never be in the MCU, but here we are. Different situations for sure, but I still think if they really, really want to go down that route they would be able to make some kind of deal with Fox.

35 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Wasn't GOTG2 announced a month or so before GOTG was released?

A little over a month, yes.

It was announced at 2014 San Diego Comic Con, which was late July. GOTG was released that August.

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

A little over a month, yes.

It was announced at 2014 San Diego Comic Con, which was late July. GOTG was released that August.

So this is a little further away. But it's not surprising that GoTG3 is in talks.

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy 3: James Gunn Clarifies Comments

Earlier this week, director James Gunn said (while promoting his latest project The Belko Experiment) that Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is something that will happen, though he’s unsure of what his role would be in bringing the sequel to the big screen.

Now, Gunn has expanded on those comments in a chat with Yahoo Movies. He explained:

“There are no specific plans for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. But we know unless something goes horribly wrong – which is always possible, you never know – I think that Marvel would want to make another movie. [Marvel chief] Kevin Feige a year and a half ago said, ‘Yeah, one of our things that we’d be thinking about will be a Guardians Vol. 3.”

He also hasn't committed to directing a third film. Then again, it's early. I expect a third film, even if he isn't involved.

I'll put this under spoilers. It's about a potential return of characters

Spoiler

Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone's Guardians of the Galaxy Characters Could Return to the MCU

Both Kurt Russell, as Ego the Living Planet, and Sylvester Stallone, in a mystery role, are in James Gunn’s latest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And while we don’t know if they are going to share any screentime, Gunn did tease that their characters could come back for future Marvel films.

Speaking to Fandango, Gunn said:

This is definitely not a one-off [for them]. They’re both characters that we’ve taken a lot of time to develop, and they’re a big part of the MCU now.

‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’ Will Be the ‘Final in This Iteration,’ James Gunn Says

Gunn also teased that the third film will be an ending of sorts for Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), and his gang of misfit heroes.

Star Zoe Saldana, who plays the assassin Gamora, was less knowledgable about the third film.

“I don’t even know if I’m in it,” she said while pointing down the carpet at Gunn, and crossing her fingers. “Ask him when you interview him.”

hmmmmm