franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | It’s got the PETA seal of quality!

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

Admitted rapist Mike Cernovich being the champion behind this is what's getting me icky.

Same here. I’m all for calling out James Gunn’s idiotic behavior, but scumbags like Mike Cernovich have no business trying to claim any kind of moral high ground. 

• Like 1

Talks about James Gunn being removed? For what exactly? Because of distasteful tweets he tweeted out a decade ago? 

Look the bottom line is that the tweets weren’t funny. They’re wrong and they’re topics that shouldn’t be joked about. But at the same time, they are just tweets. I don’t know I just feel like society has turned into this mob mentality where anytime anyone famous has a misstep it’s time to #cancel them and get them fired. Society will throw everyone under the same umbrella. Whether a person says something bad or does something bad, they get put in the same corner. And I just don’t think that should be the case. I think if someone is a repeat offender and they’re not willing to learn from their mistakes then sure maybe they shouldn’t be in the spot light or whatever. Or if someone is doing something heinous like for example sexually assaulting women/men or being a pedophile then again yea they should suffer consequences like being put in jail. But most of the time when a celeb is #cancelled its usually over something minute and it’s an odd way to go about it, because everyone, famous or not, has had missteps in their life. I’m sure if we go digging in everyone’s past, you’ll find some questionable things that have been said. Should people be automatically fired? We’d be getting into very dangerous territory if you answer yes. 

Lastly, I find it rich that a bunch of Trump supporters are behind this. As if they didn’t vote for a man who was accused of raping an underage girl and has countless accusations of sexual assault against him. They’re the last people who should be trying to act like their some moral compass.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nova said:

Talks about James Gunn being removed? For what exactly? Because of distasteful tweets he tweeted out a decade ago? 

Look the bottom line is that the tweets weren’t funny. They’re wrong and they’re topics that shouldn’t be joked about. But at the same time, they are just tweets. I don’t know I just feel like society has turned into this mob mentality where anytime anyone famous has a misstep it’s time to #cancel them and get them fired. Society will throw everyone under the same umbrella. Whether a person says something bad or does something bad, they get put in the same corner. And I just don’t think that should be the case. I think if someone is a repeat offender and they’re not willing to learn from their mistakes then sure maybe they shouldn’t be in the spot light or whatever. Or if someone is doing something heinous like for example sexually assaulting women/men or being a pedophile then again yea they should suffer consequences like being put in jail. But most of the time when a celeb is #cancelled its usually over something minute and it’s an odd way to go about it, because everyone, famous or not, has had missteps in their life. I’m sure if we go digging in everyone’s past, you’ll find some questionable things that have been said. Should people be automatically fired? We’d be getting into very dangerous territory if you answer yes. 

Lastly, I find it rich that a bunch of Trump supporters are behind this. As if they didn’t vote for a man who was accused of raping an underage girl and has countless accusations of sexual assault against him. They’re the last people who should be trying to act like their some moral compass.

Their defense in that case would be that he has denied the allegations against him, although he did once tell Howard Stern that he likes to walk in on his beauty pageant contestants (some of whom may have been as young as 15) while they were getting dressed. Anyway, we probably shouldn’t talk too much about politics here, so I’ll just leave it at that. 

Back on the subject of James Gunn’s tweets, they certainly don’t paint a good look for him, but I’d like to think that he’s probably changed since then. Granted, he was already in his 40s when he made those tweets, but I’m assuming that his post-GotG success has perhaps made him realize that he doesn’t need to make edgy and offensive jokes for attention anymore. Still, it’s ultimately up to Disney and Feige if he should stay or not.

If you supported the firing of Roseanne, you should support the firing of James Gunn. You don't get to have it both ways.

I'm on the record here "defending" Roseanne against the internet hate machine and getting called all sorts nasty names here. I don't support firing James Gunn, either, although I find James Gunn a bit harder to defend, Roseanne was a single tweet, James Gunn has hundreds. But they're just tweets, people. Unless you believe that Roseanne is actually a racist (I don't) or James Gunn is actually a pedo (I don't) they shouldn't lose their jobs.

The only thing that grinds my gears about this is that James Gunn is one of those morality police who has joined many questionable internet hate mobs in the past.

FWIW, I don't care who surfaced the tweets, I don't know who Michael Cernovich is, that does not matter. Red or Blue, we can all unite that pedophilia and racism are wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

If you supported the firing of Roseanne, you should support the firing of James Gunn. You don't get to have it both ways.

I'm on the record here "defending" Roseanne against the internet hate machine and getting called all sorts nasty names here. I don't support firing James Gunn, either, although I find James Gunn a bit harder to defend, Roseanne was a single tweet, James Gunn has hundreds. But they're just tweets, people. Unless you believe that Roseanne is actually a racist (I don't) or James Gunn is actually a pedo (I don't) they shouldn't lose their jobs.

The only thing that grinds my gears about this is that James Gunn is one of those morality police who has joined many questionable internet hate mobs in the past.

FWIW, I don't care who surfaced the tweets, I don't know who Michael Cernovich is, that does not matter. Red or Blue, we can all unite that pedophilia and racism are wrong.

Roseanne’s tweet was tweeted in present day. It was not dug up from the past ten years but even so she didn’t just get fired from a single tweet. She has a history of being a racist and a disgusting human being. The tweet was just what made things tip over. 

Shes the type of person I referenced above, who continually is a nasty person and therefore should start to face consequences for their actions because she clearly isn’t learning from her mistakes....probably because she doesn’t view them as mistakes since as I said she has a history of being a racist so that’s just the type of person she is.

Finally, James Gunn apologized for his tweets. Roseann hasn’t....and she hasn’t apologized for her racist views either. Whether Gunn actually means it or not, I don’t know. So there’s also that other layer that you’re ignoring. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

That’s probably the main reason he’s been getting in so much trouble for those tweets, since they do kind of make him look like a hypocrite. It likely doesn’t help that he himself has promoted rumors about Jared Leto preying on underage girls (which may or may not be true, I have no idea).

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Two different situations that while share similarities aren't the same, and can't be easily equitable. The fact that you're trying to lump them together (And then separate them further in your post) is disingenuous to the circumstances and serves only to attempt a moral high ground. You don't get to have it both ways.

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Roseanne was a single tweet

No. It wasn't. It was systemic behavior. You'd literally have to purposefully not have paid attention, or be lying right now, to think it was because of a "single tweet"

14 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Red or Blue, we can all unite that pedophilia and racism are wrong.

*says while defending a racist*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The other tweets were really bad, but I gotta point out, with the "happy ending for the giving tree" joke... at the end of the Giving Tree, the kid was like an 80 year old man, so that's not pedophilia by any stretch of the imagination.  Did these people not read the book?

Roseanne’s tweet was tweeted in present day. It was not dug up from the past ten years but even so she didn’t just get fired from a single tweet. She has a history of being a racist and a disgusting human being. The tweet was just what made things tip over. 

Shes the type of person I referenced above, who continually is a nasty person and therefore should start to face consequences for their actions because she clearly isn’t learning from her mistakes....probably because she doesn’t view them as mistakes since as I said she has a history of being a racist so that’s just the type of person she is.

Finally, James Gunn apologized for his tweets. Roseann hasn’t....and she hasn’t apologized for her racist views either. Whether Gunn actually means it or not, I don’t know. So there’s also that other layer that you’re ignoring. 

1) James Gunn tweets are not all from 10 years ago. I've seen some from 4 years ago. What's the statute of limitations on a public figure and role model saying that want to touch little boys and girls hundreds of times? Sorry, I never received the internet morality police handbook.
2) Roseanne did apologize, profusely, she even told her defenders to stop defending her. I don't see any difference between her apology and James Gunn, except James Gunn's was maybe a bit more twitter savvy, whereas it seems Roseanne had a personal meltdown after losing her show and livelihood. Years of work, gone in an instant. 

3) As far as "nastiness", Roseanne is no more nasty than James Gunn, they're two peas in a pod, Gunn has "Trump Derangement Syndrome," constantly tweeting outrageous far-left-wing stuff. You just happen to "understand" where Gunn is coming from but not where Roseanne comes from. Get to know people you vehemently disagree with politically, it builds empathy. It's easier if you start with, "Roseanne is a good person, so why is she saying this stuff?" If you viciously caricature your political opponents, it becomes difficult to understand them, and if you don't understand them, you won't successfully change their minds, you will only shame them into silence.

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

Two different situations that while share similarities aren't the same, and can't be easily equitable. The fact that you're trying to lump them together (And then separate them further in your post) is disingenuous to the circumstances and serves only to attempt a moral high ground. You don't get to have it both ways.

No. It wasn't. It was systemic behavior. You'd literally have to purposefully not have paid attention, or be lying right now, to think it was because of a "single tweet"

You're right, they aren't *exactly* the same, but they are pretty similar.

*says while defending a racist*

This is a pretty fucked up thing to say. What are you accusing me of?

Edited by Pure Spirit
quoted the wrong post
  • Like 1

I should say, haven't seen Gunn's tweets, and I'm sure they're bad and all that, and I'm in no way surprised the writer of Tromeo and Juliet made some offensive, mean, or over the line jokes in the past.

It's just, you're gonna pull a hamstring stretching to equate that to what Roseanne did.

• Like 1

well shit

https://deadline.com/2018/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-director-james-gunn-severing-ties-for-old-offensive-tweets-1202430392/

BREAKING:  James Gunn has been removed as director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series after a batch of old social media dispatches were unearthed that touched on areas like pedophilia and rape.

• Astonished 1

Gunn also had comic book-related blog work full of some pretty offensive stuff some years back prior to getting hired by Marvel, and they still went with him.  But yeah, I guess the Mouse ain't messin' around...  ! ! !