franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

11 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Because it's not true! And anyone who claims that it is doesn't actually know anything about how movies work. In my PERSONAL opinion, I see a movie in trouble if it doesn't make back its budget Domestically. But even then, we don't ACTUALLY know the budget, just an estimate put out by the trades, or what the studios TELL us (which LOL they're not going to tell us).

People need to chill. Stop acting like you're all in the know and have decided how movies success is determined.

This film will do fine. It's going to open above $100 mil, and probably finish over $300 mil Domestic. Anything else is gravy.

Doing "fine" for the end of a trilogy is making the less than your predecessors? That doesn't seem "fine" to me. Check your biases.

• Like 1

Chris Pratt is breathing a sigh of relief now he has Mario which will soon hit a billion, GOTG3 disappointing is not as big of a deal.

GOTG3 failing would be really bad for the next couple of MCU films though.

This movie is really paying the price for AM3 being garbage. Big flaw of a connected universe is too many bad movies means people lose interest.

Edited by Mojoguy

8 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

if this film gets great reviews and is received well by the public but fails at the box office then in my opinion it will be for the first time in all the years I've been on this forum just say "superhero fatigue"

movies like the marvels, cap4, thunderbolts will fail. people don't care about these movies.

But, that's not to say it's the end of the genre.
Because I believe that a giant event film like Avengers can still attract a lot of people

Agree in part. Issue is Avengers is still pencilled in for 2025 right? If the 2024 slate bombs then they will have an issue as surely Avengers plans need a big rework. They’ve done a really bad job building up the new Avengers team. Strangest one for me is no news around Shang Chi, introduce major new character and don’t have a plan for a follow up film? Bizzare.

Ultimately MCU needs so,e leadership changes and some reflection that maybe they’ve not been managing it properly after it’s wild success.

12 hours ago, Sckathian said:

Agree in part. Issue is Avengers is still pencilled in for 2025 right? If the 2024 slate bombs then they will have an issue as surely Avengers plans need a big rework.

Not...really? I don't think the 2024 films will be that directly involved with Kang. Blade, Thunderbolts, and Captain America seem to be doing their own thing. The only one of the films really tied to the multiverse seems to be Deadpool 3.

Edited by SpiderByte

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Best clip yet and it's not even on the official channel. MCU marketing lately is funny! 😂

At least Gunn posted on his Twitter, which gets a lot of traction these day, but yes I agree the best clip of them all

• Like 1

People on this board have a really skewed definition on what is and is not apparently a disaster. Compare the reaction to Dungeons and Dragons to this and you'd think this was tracking at a 20 million OW or something.

The MCU is far, far, far from anything like a real bomb like Morbius or Dark Phoenix. Nothing indicates were getting anywhere close to that even remotely soon.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, thajdikt said:

But was there really a disconnect with critics and audiences regarding vol 2? I personally agree with you about Vol 2 being better than Vol 1 in every way but the general consensus from audiences and critics was that it was a step down from the first one yet still good ? Vol 2 has very good scores across almost every metric it but not as good as the first one. I would also aruge that we´re yet to have an MCU movie that has had any critics/audience disconnects.

Of course metrics aren´t everything but it can give some idea:

Some audience metrics - Vol 1 vs Vol 2

IMDb: 8,0 vs 7,6

Letterboxd: 3,8 vs 3,5

RT audience score: 92% (4.4 avg rating)  vs 87% (4.1 avg rating)

CS: A vs A

It kinda lines up with the same difference critics had with Vol 1 vs Vol 2

I agree with the step down hypothesis but Posttrak scores seem to give an edge to GotG2

GotG1 - 90% positive - 75% recommend - 32% exceed expectations  (on a scale of exceeded/met/didn't meet expectations)

GotG2 - 93% positive, 77% definite recommend - 46% of audiences say it exceeded expectations

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People on this board have a really skewed definition on what is and is not apparently a disaster. Compare the reaction to Dungeons and Dragons to this and you'd think this was tracking at a 20 million OW or something.

The MCU is far, far, far from anything like a real bomb like Morbius or Dark Phoenix. Nothing indicates were getting anywhere close to that even remotely soon.

Morbius grossing 167M over a 75M budget is not really different than Quantumania grossing 480M over a 200M budget if you really put the bias aside and think about it 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

At least Gunn posted on his Twitter, which gets a lot of traction these day, but yes I agree the best clip of them all

Looks so amazing, i want to love this so badly, both Guardians movies are among the best blockbusters of the past decade, really hoping this one will match them

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

If Avatar 3 makes $1.5 billion would that be "fine"?

No lol 

If it makes 2B dropping for 2.3B would be fine, under that would be disappointing 

Especially because it would probably gross 2.6B or so if it wasn´t for China collapse while the movie was opening there 

• Like 1