franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah ... Batman 85%, WF 84%, GOTG3 in the fine line between 70 - 80, and honestly reactions for Flash seems like 80´s at best 

Seems like it turned into a polarizing genre, kinda like horror movies 

Batman would be at least 90& 5-6 hears ago. Critics are just tired

• Like 4

Just watched Dan Murrell's full review fleshed out - didn't see exactly what it had been that had got him 'flamed' on Twitter. 

And, yeah, I don't see how he doesn't have a point, rightly or wrongly. Whatever artistic response we may have and how much the trailers may have indicated there would be *some* of it, there may well be people turned off by *that* element of the film...

Spoiler

animal cruelty

....if he is representing accurately that it happens over several scenes and another case of Gunn's ex-edgelordery not helping his instincts. 

The next wave of reviews will give us a good idea whether it´s closer to DS2 or WF. That wave it got there was brutal while the first was strong. Letterboxd reviews are very strong so far, on the same level as WF was when that review embargo dropped.

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, I don't see these reviews being good enough for most people unfortunately. It's pretty much locked to be the lowest in the series now. Around $600M to $650M worldwide when all is said and done. It is what it is.

Yeah the thing about GOTG3's worldwide haul is that it feels pretty baked in no matter what. Even if it has gotten better critics rating than what it seems to be getting right now.

Compare to GOTG 2, It is looking to lose like $80M in China alone, that MCU trend in China is not gonna suddenly change, then you lose $28M in Russia, then you take away what looks like at least $60M domestically (that might be being kind). We are suddenly looking at $690M as the worldwide ceiling - that is, assuming it does as well as GOTG 2 in every other market, not to even consider the relatively bad exchange rate. As for where the floor is, not entirely sure...

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah ... Batman 85%, WF 84%, GOTG3 in the fine line between 70 - 80, and honestly reactions for Flash seems like 80´s at best 

Seems like it turned into a polarizing genre, kinda like horror movies 

I think Batman 2 with a shorter runtime and little less convoluted plot can go above 90% since it was the main complaining. I think some movies are still capable of reaching 90's, but the average is definitely going down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Just watched Dan Murrell's full review fleshed out - didn't see exactly what it had been that had got him 'flamed' on Twitter. 

And, yeah, I don't see how he doesn't have a point, rightly or wrongly. Whatever artistic response we may have and how much the trailers may have indicated there would be *some* of it, there may well be people turned off by *that* element of the film...

Hide contents

animal cruelty

....if he is representing accurately that it happens over several scenes and another case of Gunn's ex-edgelordery not helping his instincts. 

I mean, I doubt it goes to that last Planet of the Apes movie level of it... Critics still loved that.

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Suicide Squad didn't have bad WOM it was just a hybrid release at a time Covid was still very much a concern. If it's WOM we're that bad DC wouldn't have given him their highest position as well as multiple spinoffs from it

This is a complete fallacy. The noise around it distracted from how poorly it did and gave easy excuses for it. It was not the reason for the poor performance.

Second Weekend drop was worse than the other equivalents in that position. It's legs are horrible even when taking even single dynamic into account.

It had modest to bad WOM in the general audience. It had great responses and great WOM in the internet bubble. DC listened to the internet bubble.

It was Scott Pilgrim 2.0.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

I think Batman 2 with a shorter runtime and little less convoluted plot can go above 90% since it was the main complaining. I think some movies are still capable of reaching 90's, but the average is definitely going down.

Nag,  the novelty of seeing Reeves take will have worn off.  It's the main reason most sequels go 👇 enough critically.  Critics and audience know what to expect so the atmosphere and the tone will be familiar.  I can see batman 2 going down

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, I doubt it goes to that last Planet of the Apes movie level of it... Critics still loved that.

Planet of the Apes is an entirely different franchise with an entirely different tone that had been established from the first reboot.

And it's a franchise that was operating with lower BO and a narrower audience than the MCU is expected to.

A lot of these negative top critics reviews read mixed enough that they could've been submitted as fresh four years ago. The benefit of a doubt you might've seen in a Captain Marvel review or a Thor Love & Thunder review isn't gonna be carried over with some critics here. They're just tired of this stuff now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Planet of the Apes is an entirely different franchise with an entirely different tone that had been established from the first reboot.

And it's a franchise that was operating with lower BO and a narrower audience than the MCU is expected to.

And, Avatar 2? Or, maybe because they're giant whales rather than smaller more tangible creatures people just don't really care? I'm not being sarcastic... I can see that hitting is hard for that reason.

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gunn, like Taika, seems to be at his best when someone reins in his absolute vision and ideas - he always has great ones, and yet he can't help himself, and almost always takes them too far,

I felt that way on TSS, and even more on Peacemaker.  It was so so good, and yet it had more than a few moments where I said "why did you film that" and "ewwww, this is too much"...

It seems like he did continue the trend here...not sure how GA will feel about that - probably will break on gender and age lines...

• Like 1