Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Because it had a second weekend drop that was fairly good and there was a a film that opened  over 170 million dollars. That's why it's an incredible drop.

I'll definitely give you that. 

Could/should hold even better next weekend. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's true. If someone fits a beloved character very well, it will generate more interest.

But put Emma Watson in a completely original, fantasy tent pole where she falls in love with a random monster.

That shit ain't making 50 m OW let alot 170 m.

How often do movies like that even succeed in the first place? If/when it bombs it wouldn't be fair to pin the blame on Emma. 

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think there's enough precedent that nostalgia is a thousand times more effective at selling tickets than star power.

I mostly agree. I think the right actor can amplify the movie's success, though.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

A plastic spoon could've played Belle and you're still looking at over 125 m OW.

Sorry Potter fanboys and girls. She gave the movie a nice bump but lets not get carried away.

That's what most people here are saying, not that she carried the film on her own.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Make it happen Disney

aWXSbxT.jpg

I've never seen her act but I honestly think she would actually be really good imo lol. She's very Disney Princess like. If she was older I would be interested to see how she would be as Belle actually lol. 

Edited by ban1o

10 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'm just happy Logan exists. Quality blockbuster filmmaking

I just talked to my dad on the phone and he saw Logan yesterday.  He was offended by it, he thinks its a product of society becoming too desensitized to violence.  He didn't like how an 11 year old girl was slicing people up and was particularly offended by the scene where Laura

Spoiler

rolls out the decapitated head.

I find this funny because his favorite movie is fucking Gladiator.

• Like 11

Just now, Ozymandias said:

I just talked to my dad on the phone and he saw Logan yesterday.  He was offended by it, he thinks its a product of society becoming too desensitized to violence.  He didn't like how an 11 year old girl was slicing people up and was particularly offended by the scene where Laura

Hide contents

rolls out the decapitated head.

I find this funny because his favorite movie is fucking Gladiator.

THIS is a product of becoming too desensitized to violence:

Xb3k8tS.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, franfar said:

How often do movies like that even succeed in the first place? If/when it bombs it wouldn't be fair to pin the blame on Emma. 

I mostly agree. I think the right actor can amplify the movie's success, though.

That's what most people here are saying, not that she carried the film on her own.

Seems quite a few people think it's impossible for a BatB movie to pull a 140+ m OW without Emma Watson.

Very few of her defenders are saying she just added an extra 20-30 m.