Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 minute ago, Xavier said:

Just saw Beauty and the Beast. Liked it very much but can't really compare, having seen the original once in 1991..

I was sold me on Watson as the film progressed, to the point where I wasn't looking at Hermione anymore.. in the last dance, she was just amazing.

The movie breaks records for a reason.

For me, Watson was sufficient. But definitely didn't add to the character.

People keep forgetting that they remade an award-winning movie and soundtrack: Grammys, Oscars, and Golden Globes. A movie that was nominated for an Oscar for best picture before the animation category existed. A movie that has been released 3 times in its original animated form. A movie that has a $1.4billion musical. When you take something beloved and don't mess it up, it will do will, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc. Emma Watson helped but she's definitely not the only player in the end results.

Venom's origin is supposed to be tragic.

That's what the comics and trailer promised and Raimi totally fumbled it.

Cause he didn't like Venom.

So fuck the actual fans of the character.

Edited by grey ghost

40 minutes ago, Rth and the Beast said:

Top playdates 18-Mar
all BATB
1-AMC Disney Springs , Orlando FL
2-EL Capitan Hollywood
3-AMC Burbank
4-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ
5-Cobb Dolphin , Miami FL
6-AMC Downtown disney, Anaheim CA
7-AMC Lincoln Square NYC
8-ST Palladium, Richmond TX
9-ST Palladium , San Antonio TX
10-CS Warren 14, Moore OK
11-AMC Orange 30
12-AMC Tysons Corner, Mclean VA
13-LMT Megaplex Sandy UT
14-Pac Glendale CA
15-Regal Kaufman Astoria NY
16-Regal Irvine Spectrum, Irvine CA
17-Regal Pinnacle ,Knoxville TN
18-Regal Deer Park NY
19-CM Tanforan , San Bruno CA
20-Regal E-walk, NYC
(Regal E-walk NYC + AMC Empire 25 rank #6)

Ontario Palace 22 + Ontario Mills 30 rank #2
CPLX Scotiabank Toronto + Yonge & Dundas rank #10

Top Canada
1-CPLX Vaughan ON, 2-CPLX Queensway, Etobicoke ON; 3-CPLX Odeon Yonge & Dundas, Toronto ON (with Scotiabank #1); 
4-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgary; 5-CPLX Winston Churchill, Oakville ON

There was no way Disney Springs wouldn't be first. The sellouts it had were fucking insane.

47 minutes ago, passerby said:

For me, Watson was sufficient. But definitely didn't add to the character.

People keep forgetting that they remade an award-winning movie and soundtrack: Grammys, Oscars, and Golden Globes. A movie that was nominated for an Oscar for best picture before the animation category existed. A movie that has been released 3 times in its original animated form. A movie that has a $1.4billion musical. When you take something beloved and don't mess it up, it will do will, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc. Emma Watson helped but she's definitely not the only player in the end results.

..and I never said she was.

1 hour ago, MrMarosa said:

Remember Touchstone Pictures? Are they still around? I am old enough to remember when Disney’s Touchstone division was a solid performer releasing a steady stream od box office comedy hits from the likes of Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Whoopi Goldberg. Richard Dreyfuss, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, etc. I remember the Touchstone logo always making me feel that I was about to have a great time. Anyone knows what happened to them?

It became purely a logo a long time ago:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1001039/000100103907000090/filename1.htm

They didn't had any employee or any office space, or anything, it was purely a logo that Disney put on movie they released from time to time, that didn't fit the Disney brand, purely artificial, they finally stopped using it.

1 hour ago, Rth and the Beast said:

Top playdates 18-Mar
all BATB
1-AMC Disney Springs , Orlando FL
2-EL Capitan Hollywood
3-AMC Burbank
4-AMC Garden State, Paramus NJ
5-Cobb Dolphin , Miami FL
6-AMC Downtown disney, Anaheim CA
7-AMC Lincoln Square NYC
8-ST Palladium, Richmond TX
9-ST Palladium , San Antonio TX
10-CS Warren 14, Moore OK
11-AMC Orange 30
12-AMC Tysons Corner, Mclean VA
13-LMT Megaplex Sandy UT
14-Pac Glendale CA
15-Regal Kaufman Astoria NY
16-Regal Irvine Spectrum, Irvine CA
17-Regal Pinnacle ,Knoxville TN
18-Regal Deer Park NY
19-CM Tanforan , San Bruno CA
20-Regal E-walk, NYC
(Regal E-walk NYC + AMC Empire 25 rank #6)

Ontario Palace 22 + Ontario Mills 30 rank #2
CPLX Scotiabank Toronto + Yonge & Dundas rank #10

Top Canada
1-CPLX Vaughan ON, 2-CPLX Queensway, Etobicoke ON; 3-CPLX Odeon Yonge & Dundas, Toronto ON (with Scotiabank #1); 
4-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook Calgary; 5-CPLX Winston Churchill, Oakville ON

surprised Trainspotting 2 did not make an appearance...  maybe it has to do with BatB being higher priced..

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Spider-Man Homecoming needs to beat the first Amazing Spider Man worldwide to be a hit.

If it makes $700m WW it was pointless for Sony to reboot so quickly. 

That sound a bit extreme, if the movie do 765 million it is a hit, if it does 700 it is useless (even thought I feel you are not far from the truth in a sense)?

If it get back on track domestic and built good will to continue the universe, I can see a good 700 million scenario for them, specially with how cheap the cast seem to be outside RDJ and the high school part of the movie can come at a good price.

Amazing Spider-Man

Was greenlight with an expected:

Net production budget: 268.83 million

World Release P&A budget: 210.94 million

The Box office expected: 250dbo/410 intl, 600 million WW at the moment of greenlight

Break even at a estimated box office of: 170 domestic / 390 intl, 560 WW

Updated expected target before the release: 250 million DBO / 490 intl, 740 WW

Actual number it did

World box office: 757.93 million

Net production budget: 261.595 million

World Release P&A budget: 199.08 million

Total revenue: 703.86 million

Profit: 69.87 million

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Was greenlight with an expected:

Net production budget: 260.00 million

World Release P&A budget: 206.4 million

The Box office expected: 300 dbo/549.8 intl, 848.3 million WW at the moment of greenlight

Break even at a estimated box office of: 216.7 domestic / 400 intl, 616.7 WW (starting to see the deplition of the home market)

Updated expected target before the release: 200 million DBO / 510 intl, 710 WW

Actual number it did

World box office: 709 million (just 1 million of...)

Net production budget: 263.95 million

World Release P&A budget: 199.82 million

Total revenue: 603.27 million

Profit: 14.52 million (for the studio, the 3 party investor lost 5.6 million on it)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If they can make it on the cheaper side, say below 210 million net and with a "small" 160-165 million world release using the strength of the MCU brand do a lot of the selling, they will save 90 million over the usual spider man movie and could make a 700 BO (if it get back on track domestic) interesting imo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Im sry but its still f*ing hilarious. Great (unintentional?) comedy

It wasn't unintentional. One has to be really oblivious to Raimi's style to think that scene was meant to be taken at face value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, passerby said:

But James Brown!!! 

I missed SM3 in the theater because I was in hospital when it came out. That was a bullet dodged. Even after I was given two (2) copies for Christmas, I knew better than to watch this cinematic abortion. There was always this sense that it was something best left unseen, lest it taint my love for Raimi's first two Spider-man films.

Unfortunately, my streak of good luck and better judgement was ended when I watched this video. It was horrifying. Did Sony's overbearing interference drive Sam Raimi mad? Was Tobey infected with insanity in a cinematic version of folie à deux? Whatever happened on that production, the end result was hideous.

22 minutes ago, Goffe said:

It wasn't unintentional. One has to be really oblivious to Raimi's style to think that scene was meant to be taken at face value.

The fact that 99% of people took that scene at vace value shows they never understood what Raimi was doing here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Spider-Man Homecoming needs to beat the first Amazing Spider Man worldwide to be a hit.

If it makes $700m WW it was pointless for Sony to reboot so quickly. 

No. It needs to pull down a good investment to revenue ratio to be a hit. Like any film.

The drop from TASM to TASM2 showed that series was going nowhere but down, if Homecoming is well received that will be the point of rebooting. You're also ignoring the massive motivation of joining the MCU.