Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Also, we have to give credit to Alan Menken. Every 90s kid grew up listening to him whether they knew it or not. I was reading an article in which he was talking about how he liked original projects more so than the remakes. But as they are his babies, he would never let someone else do the music. The new song for BATB, Evermore, is Mencken at his best! A soaring broadway ballad!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

So, we all agree that a $500M total (even if it crawls there) is a lock, right? Because word-of-mouth will definitely be great (my audience applauded at the end and even applauded at the cast as they were being billed in the credits heh).

Nope, if BnB opens at around $170m DOM, I'd say $300m is a "lock", but nothing more in terms of intervals of $100m. Remember, BvS opened in similar territory and finished at around $330m.  

And if you think that's a crazy outlier, remember that CACW opened at $180m and yet despite rave reviews just creeped over $400m DOM.

IOW's, while $400m would be likely for BnB, it wouldn't be a lock, so $500m even less so. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

Just now, SteveJaros said:

Nope, if BnB opens at around $170m DOM, I'd say $300m is a "lock", but nothing more. Remember, BvS opened in similar territory and finished at around $330m.  

And if you think that's a crazy outlier, remember that CACW opened at $180m and yet despite rave reviews just creeped over $400m DOM.

You're borderline insane if you think this is gonna have the same legs as Batman v Superman. Then again, you're "fuck Disney" guy so...

• Like 7

8 hours ago, passerby said:

Dude!!! These numbers are awesome. Nostalgia is powerful if done well! Jeez, I can't get over how much money Disney seems to be making these days. 

I wouldn't underestimate pirates. It's the last one, at least that's what the trailer is advertising. And nostalgia for the first film will bring in audiences. 

W46f1es.gif

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Nope, if BnB opens at around $170m DOM, I'd say $300m is a "lock", but nothing more. Remember, BvS opened in similar territory and finished at around $330m.  

However to understand CW you need to know a lot of MCU films which may have turned audiences off, and BVS had abysmal WOM. Look we all know you tend over underestimate Disney which you "don't hate" films at the box office and curses movies like Fantastic Beasts and Lego Batman at the domestic box office. Now say under $200M for Guardians so it can do $400M, and don't say over $250M for Ninjago cause it'll do $80M.

Edited by YourMother

3 minutes ago, passerby said:

Also, we have to give credit to Alan Menken. Every 90s kid grew up listening to him whether they knew it or not. I was reading an article in which he was talking about how he liked original projects more so than the remakes. But as they are his babies, he would never let someone else do the music. The new song for BATB, Evermore, is Mencken at his best! A soaring broadway ballad!

Not just kids. My wife is in her 50s and has never seen the 1991 film. But nevertheless was very familiar with the key songs - the title song, Be Our Guest, and Belle - and has been for decades, and that's why she wanted to see this film. We did on Friday, and she loved it. 

15 hours ago, baumer said:

Chaneling Genie Bouchard here.

If it misses 600 mill, u go on a date with me. :)

Pfffff, you're on because it's not gonna miss! :D 

Everyone I know has said its fantastic and even does some things that the cartoon didnt explore upon. I cant wait to see it myself today.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You're borderline insane if you think this is gonna have the same legs as Batman v Superman. Then again, you're "fuck Disney" guy so...

You must have missed the part where I mentioned CACW as well. Maybe you were too eager to post a knee-jerk reaction? :slaphead:

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am still waiting for the Little Mermaid movie made by Disney. That has way more potential live action than Lion King. The lack of an human element will hurt Lion King.

I get why "Lion King" and "Aladdin" are fast tracked  because the Live Action versions of those films will have everyone buzzing.   But I agree with you about "Little Mermaid" can do gangbusters too.   Aren't they talking about remaking "Splash" with Channing as the mermaid this time?   Obviously the underwater stuff will be CGI but the whole part where she gets legs can be huge.   It's all about getting the right actress.    Honestly "The Lion King" Live Action will basically be a CGI fest if they keep the human element out.   "Aladdin" has great prospects too with the visual effects going to be used for the carpet ride etc.    I remember being in the theater for "Aladdin" and seeing those animated visual effects for the first time, it blew me away.    The bottom line BATB performance off the heels of "Jungle Book" last year will open the flood gates.  

• Like 2

You must have missed the part where I mentioned CACW as well. Maybe you were too eager to post a knee-jerk reaction? :slaphead:

That may hurt you more than help you.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

However to understand CW you need to know a lot of MCU films which may have turned audiences off, and BVS had abysmal WOM. Look we all know you tend over underestimate Disney which you "don't hate" films at the box office and curses movies like Fantastic Beasts and Lego Batman at the domestic box office. Now say under $200M for Guardians so it can do $400M, and don't say over $250M for Ninjago cause it'll do $80M.

The above bolded language is what you came up with after an edit? :slaphead:

The above bolded language is what you came up with after an edit? :slaphead:

Just having fun with you. Making a few jokes.

Edited by YourMother

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably around $50M. The spillover from Saturday should be big.

Chloe Grace Moretz is waiting for the phone call. ;)

There are a lot of actresses calling their agents this morning ? Also dying their hair red for new head shots.