Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

170m OW

“Beauty and the Beast,” the studio’s latest live action update of a cartoon classic, waltzed its way to a towering $170 million debut this weekend, setting a new record for a March opening and solidifying the Mouse House’s status as the dominant player in the film business. No other company can match the streak that Disney is currently enjoying, thanks to a series of multi-billion acquisitions that put the likes of Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm in its Magic Kingdom.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nova said:

Some of you guys are talking about the Lion King and The Little Mermaid in terms of live action Disney remakes. 

Im betting all my money on Frozen being the biggest of them all. That's when they inevitably announce a live action remake of it. 

Queen Elsa for the win elsa_frozen_810_500_55_s_c1.jpg

I don't need to look it up but I can assure you, Lion King adjusted absolutely destroys Frozen.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I want it to be $200m........really want it......

Not happening. And its $160 million+ on a $4.5 million production cost will already make it one of the most successful films of all time.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Oh boy, racist hate-avalanche incoming.

WTF? She actually makes sense. Right age and already dyed her hair red for another part. Doesn't have to reach for the bottle like all those other young actresses that are undoubtedly going to try for the part. 

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Disney should just do the MOANA live action remake right now using The Rock and the Moana voice actress to play the main characters.

They are not going to do live-action remakes of new movies yet, but Moana actress could play Ariel. 

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yes but that business model probably accounts for over 90% of successful tent poles nowadays.

It's been taken to an extreme.

Hollywood gives what the people want.

Nobody forces you to go see Fast 8, X Men 9 or Finding Dory.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Daisy Ridley, Felicity Jones & Emma Watson are the biggest draws of modern box office as far as actresses are concerned no doubt.

Okay I'll take the bait. :insane:

When have they ever carried a major movie on their shoulders? :apocalypse:

I don't need to look it up but I can assure you, Lion King adjusted absolutely destroys Frozen.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs adjusted absolutely destorys Lion King.

I can play your game too.

Adjusted is a bad way to compare movies.

• Like 1

Wow. This is officially the best March ever.

I don't like to brag, but I was pretty spot on w/my mid 170's prediction for BATB. I didn't think the batshit insane 180-200M predictions were out of proportion, but realistically, I saw 170's. But that said... 63M Saturday? Holy shit, IT HAD 16M IN PREVIEWS AND A 60M+ OD. It didn't drop - it stayed flat. That's the biggest real Friday to Saturday increase EVER for a movie w/over 10M in previews (and probably for any live action 100M+ opener), if I recall correctly. Insane.

And, honestly, BATB is just a sample of the potential of these Disney remakes. Aladdin is arguably close to being or is as popular as BATB, is a true four-quadrant movie if there ever was one, and did more than BATB both adjusted and unadjusted for inflation, so I think it could actually be way more than just the Moana to BATB's Zootopia. The Little Mermaid will also be 300M DOM bound, easily. And The Lion King will do 200M OW. Seriously. To anybody that thinks otherwise because it's not actually live-action, it doesn't have an Emma Watson type actress to drive an entire generation w/her, or something like that...... it's The Lion King, and that's all it needs. If they play the marketing smartly (like having the teaser trailer be the Circle Of Life sequence, and that's it), it'll pour them Jurassic World/Avengers money.

On top of BATB's killer opening, everything else is holding nice too. Logan's run, for X-Men standards, is pretty damn terrific (especially if it holds at 55% this weekend, against a 170M+ family monster). Get Out having a 36% hold is beyond mindblowing. And Kong: Skull Island not dropping even close to 60% is absolutely impressive and spectacular as well.

Just.... amazing stuff, everyone. Box office hasn't been this much fun since Deadpool's OW, honestly.

giphy.gif

• Like 8

Just now, crazydom said:

Aladdin will live or die based off the Genie. I could easily see Disney messing it up.

true, Aladdin, Jasmine and Jafar are bland as fuck. The movie is practically a Genie show. They won't mess up cause they know what's really going to sell tickets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

I dunno. BatB is one of the most popular animated movies of all time and the timing is perfect with Generation X having young kids of their own.

150+ m OW was always very likely.

You are goddamn lost with what millenials think. Emma Watson's casting as Belle pulled a lot of the young adults into this live action remake. Cast an unknown as Belle and you'll see 100 million OW. Cast Emma Watson as Belle and you'll see 170 million opening.

Emma Watson as Belle is genius casting. She fits the role perfectly, well minus the high caliber singing chops. The young generation don't care if you're an Oscar winner or not, what's important is your social media presence and likability. That's where Emma won.