Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

4 minutes ago, Ocho said:

I love it when Disney pushes the envelope.......but this ain't happening.

Way too much money riding on it

We tend to underestimate audiences. The massive majority of them aren't as bigoted as all that. SW7 and BatB opening huge despite the nontroversies surrounding them is proof of that.

As for Zendaya in particular, I'm interested in seeing how she fares in Homecoming and The Greatest Showman. If she proves she has the appeal and chops and breaks out (she is already popular but I meant on an even bigger scale thanks to these two movies), then sure, go for it. Casting her as Ariel would also be hilariously cool because then she'd be playing the live action versions of redheaded girlfriends of both famous animated characters voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes in the late 80's/early 90's: Prince Eric and Peter Parker/Spider-Man :P  

greg-brady.jpg?w=500&h=236

petermj2.bmp

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not stunned. I booked tickets this morning for me and my niece to go and the best I could do was a 3:30 show in the second row. And they have showings in 2D every half hour! Business is crazy today again. I had been saying this was gonna be more frontloaded and play closer to a YA franchise film but then I tried to buy us tickets yesterday and I went uh oh.......I'm gonna be eating crow, methinks.

It is playing like a huge four quadrant movie. I am still stunned that it did almost 63M on Saturday. It stayed almost flat from Friday+Previews! Disney is predicting a 30% drop for Sunday. I don't see it happening. This just had the 4th biggest Saturday ever, there will be spillover to Sunday. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

What in the hell are people smoking when it comes to these The Circle predictions?

That movie not going to do any significant business.  First, it is being essentially dumped.  Second, it won't get any sort of good screen count because every theater that isn't a megaplex is going to be on clear out to get as many Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 screens as they can get.  I will be shocked it it does more than $25m total and might do half that.  

I can see it having a 10-12M OW and then finishing with 30M or so after dying against GotG2 on his 2nd weekend.

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just because Harrison Ford was top billed in TFA doesn't mean TFA wasn't a female led blockbuster. The story is literally centered around Daisey Ridley's character. She wasn't gonna get paid as much as Ford because she's not freaking Harrison Ford. That doesn't suddenly change the narrative or story in TFA

No one's saying that but for marketing and box office purposes, the success of BATB will do more for female-led films than TFA will.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

April 28th for the Circle says most of what you need to know about the film. If they felt like they could do 75m, they would have put it elsewhere.

If they keep the ending of the book then WOM will be toxic too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I wish they had been proven wrong, too. MBJ was the only good part of that movie. It flopped because it was wretched.

It had a pretty great young cast in general (Teller, Jordan, and Kebble are all gods) shame they were in a shitty movie

• Like 2

My first job was at a movie theater during the release of the 1991 film.  The theater was nuts that weekend.  Hard to believe those kids back then are now adults with kids of their own.  

Not related but I quit that job after I was fired 

• Like 2

As someone raised in that Disney Renaissance generation, BATB/Aladdin are big among people 18-30.....but Lion King is 10x bigger. It's unreal. That's everyone my age's favorite movie ever. Part of that is coming from an area that's more diverse than the rest of the country, but nah, the box office and HV sales back it up. Lion King really is the king. I never cared about those Disney movies too much - my favorite movie as a kid was Starship Troopers - but Lion King is dope. If they pull it off, with a Gambino as a hot, marketable lead like Watson, shieeeeeet. That might do 600m.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What in the hell are people smoking when it comes to these The Circle predictions?

That movie not going to do any significant business.  First, it is being essentially dumped.  Second, it won't get any sort of good screen count because every theater that isn't a megaplex is going to be on clear out to get as many Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 screens as they can get.  I will be shocked it it does more than $25m total and might do half that.  

That didn't stop Arrival.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It has Watson, Hanks, Boyega, Paxton's last role on film, etc.  It seems like a film that'll succeed on starpower and work as mildly decent counterprogramming to GOTG 2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

He was a great choice IMO (I always defended it in the thread). It is shame the whole project was a disaster. He was one of the few decent things in it. He has natural charisma. 

I always saw Johnny Storm as an arrogant class clown that has boyish good looks that most girls crush over.

I'd say the Fresh Prince of Bel Air era Will Smith would be the perfect black Human Torch.

MJB just comes off as too tough around the edges and no nonsense even if he does crack jokes in the trailer.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

As someone raised in that Disney Renaissance generation, BATB/Aladdin are big among people 18-30.....but Lion King is 10x bigger. It's unreal. That's everyone my age's favorite movie ever. Part of that is coming from an area that's more diverse than the rest of the country, but nah, the box office and HV sales back it up. Lion King really is the king. I never cared about those Disney movies too much - my favorite movie as a kid was Starship Troopers - but Lion King is dope. If they pull it off, with a Gambino as a hot, marketable lead like Watson, shieeeeeet. That might do 600m.

I am still unsure about that one because there is zero human element in it. It will be just CGI animals. Of course the voice cast will be all star, like Jungle Book, but still...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

f768767f113a286eefc8ba8c32276771f9a18ca6

Don't spoil it, I do plan to see the movie in theaters.

I quite like it, actually. It really annoyed people though.

I think Ponsoldt is the best of those young Sundance directors everyone raves about but it seems like it might be a blip on his filmography.

• Like 1