Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That didn't stop Arrival.

Oh, did I miss something and The Circle magically grew an interesting plot, release date and Best Picture Oscar buzz?

Not trying to offend you, but this movie is going to be a blip on the radar at best.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ok.

That didn't stop Straight Outta Compton. TCs don't mean much if the movie is poised to do well.

Lol at that comparison.  The Circle doesn't have a tenth of the appeal SOC had.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one's saying that but for marketing and box office purposes, the success of BATB will do more for female-led films than TFA will.

The thing is Batb will be a big hit while SW7 is one of the most watched film of the millennium so far domestically.

As someone raised in that Disney Renaissance generation, BATB/Aladdin are big among people 18-30.....but Lion King is 10x bigger. It's unreal. That's everyone my age's favorite movie ever. Part of that is coming from an area that's more diverse than the rest of the country, but nah, the box office and HV sales back it up. Lion King really is the king. I never cared about those Disney movies too much - my favorite movie as a kid was Starship Troopers - but Lion King is dope. If they pull it off, with a Gambino as a hot, marketable lead like Watson, shieeeeeet. That might do 600m.

I agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Yea I worry about the same thing. That's what I mean by pull it off. Having a human to play off the CGI obviously helped JB/BATB.

Idk, as a kid it always felt like Aladdin was alot more liked and bigger than Batb, too. It took a re-release for the box office to be so close. If they do that well with an actual diverse cast, it can bank too. I also think that this conversation is depressing af, but I'll wait till I see BaTB later to write creative blockbusters' eulogy I guess.

Aladdin is gonna be HUGE as well. I expect massive business from that one. Most people love Aladdin. 

Disney simply doesn't need to give a shit anymore. All they need to do is adapt the animated versions with no effort and booom, money everywhere. At least Alice, Maleficent and Oz were sequels/retellings/prequels :lol: .

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I gotta be honest, that feels like a hollow victory at best.

I don't have much faith in executives taking that message from the mega success of BatB. 

If after The Hunger Games, Rogue One, BatB and even the first two Divergent movies and The Fault In Our Stars the executives still aren't taking the message, yikes... (and I fully believe they aren't tbh).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No one's saying that but for marketing and box office purposes, the success of BATB will do more for female-led films than TFA will.

No. The success of female led films that don't have a huge franchise already attached to it will do that...and they already have. Films like Hidden Figures, Bad Moms, La La Land, Arrival...the list goes on. TFA and BATB benefit from being franchise films. Just like all the comic book films do. However audiences have already shown Hollywood they're willing to flock to female led films. BATB isn't the sudden platform that's going to change anything. 

• Like 1