Plain Old Tele

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Beauty and the Beast (2017)  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Saw it last night with my daughter and mom.  Packed theater.  We all really enjoyed it, so there is your demographic span, lol.  For all the complaints about it being a scene for scene remake, I found that I liked the familiar scenes and songs the best.  Thought Emma did a great job and loved Gaston and Le Fou. The CGI on Beast was occasionally really good and occasionally really not good.  The subplot with Belle's mom wasn't really needed, but I guess it gave them something in common to bond over.  *shrug*

The only thing that left me a bit thrown was that they show Belle being an inventor, which is cool, and then that skill never comes up again.  I expected it to be relevant to the story and it wasn't.   At any rate, we all liked the movie.  I gave it a B, which probably would've been a B+ if that was an option. My daughter has already said she wants to go again this weekend.  

This was alright. Made for kids, methinks. The audience ate it up. Lot to like but overall, I dunno, something felt not as romantic as it should have been. Too chaste, some weird ass editing where you can't see shit (action) and did I get it right that the villagers were actually the court people with erased memory? Also, wasn't the rose from Paris supposed to be infected with plague? I don't know how time travel works in the movie but the sick woman kissed it so yeah.

Actors were great, all of them, but special kudos to Evans, McGregor and Thompson. Emma is such a natural beauty, really sold Belle's inner and outer one. 

Shittiest trailers ever, though. Some animation with squirrels - few laughs. One Pixar thing with a dog - zero laughs. Smurfs - a whole row of kids got up and went to the washroom. :bravo: Old POTC trailer - no reaction.  

• Like 1

I gave it a B.

It is Beauty and the Beast, so there was no way I wasn't going to enjoy it. The changes were pretty minor so there was no danger of it being a train wreck. All the cast were great but Emma Watson just isn't good enough for a character as iconic as Belle and not good enough to hang a movie of this size on. It's just as well everyone else was as good as they were so it never became too distracting. 

The main 'issue' is that there's nothing really in it that would make me want to watch this over the original. I might rewatch this every now and then to take in the nice performances, but there's nothing else that really grabbed me - other than maybe the moment when the servants all started 'freezing' as the last petal fell, which was pretty emotional. In general though I was mostly always go back to the 1992 version. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Image result for scrubs gif

6/10 | C+

Pretty much. 

There's that moment when Belle proclaims that her favorite book is Romeo & Juliet and that tells you all you need to know about her, Watson's portrayal of her, and the movie as a whole. It's not that she's wrong, exactly, but could her pick possibly be any more banal than that? The movie risks nothing, and accomplishes nothing. It just takes up space. 

• Like 7

Good production values, but overall it feels like a carbon copy of the animated version. Disney played it safe by adding minor changes to the film. Before I viewed it in theaters, I watched the animated version the night before, so that could've affected my viewing experience.

My thoughts contains spoilers. Sorry for the errors.

I loved the film. I wasn't expecting it to be so GOOD. It actually took me surprised how good it was. Coming into the week that the movie wasn't really impressing me with the by-the-numbers trailers and the below average tv spots. Watching a lot of the short clips we got of people singing, I felt like the songs from the original animated movie were being autotuned and over-produced. So, I was nervous going into BATB. They really didn't do the songs justice from the TV spots. Every song from the in the live action was done justice. None of the songs felt like they were out of place and overproduced. My favorite has were Be Our Guest, Gaston, and Belle. Emma Watson had a wonderful singing voice. I was also nervous about her singing in the film, but she more than held her own during her songs. Emma Thompson also did a great job filling in for Angela Lansbury during the Beauty and the Beast song. Of the new songs, I loved Days in the Sun, and the beast solo after Belle left the tower to track down her father. It helped encapsulate Beast's feelings after Belle. This is one of things I appreciated over the Animated film.

Acting Highlights. Emma Watson and Dan Stevens were both really good, but I gotta say Josh Gad(as Lefou) and Luke Evans(As Gaston) were the highlights of the films. That is absolutely no slight on Emma Watson. She was absolutely Belle, and I felt bad for ever doubting her. Luke Evans was just so funny and hammy. I could not think of a better Gaston. Josh Gad was also really funny. The "Gay" references in this film didn't really take me out of the movie. Josh Gad did a great job without his performance being over the top. There was really nothing with his character that sucked me out of the movies. Other highlights besides those 4 was Kevin Kline as Belle's father. I also liked the gal who played the Enchantress. She was actually underused in my opinion. Would've like to see more of her character.

The Technical aspects of the movie were amazing. Now it's easy to go into the movie like this, and say those things are good with the very high budget Disney put in, but the technical aspects blew me away. Beast's castle was an amazing set. The cinematography was amazing. Big epic, grand, sweeping shots of the French country side. There is just things they can do in Live-Action, they simply can't do in the animated version. One worth mentioning is during Belle's Reprise; a big epic shot of the village, Beast's castle, and the French country side. The costumes and makeup were also amazing. I could see this movie getting multiple oscar nominations. The wolves were also frightening too. They weren't in it much, but they did look terrifying. 

As far as negatives, I can't really think of any negatives. There was nothing that really took me out of the movie. None of the singing, none of the "Gay" scenes put in the movie. The movie felt Stagey, but all musicals are going to be like that. Chicago, Les Miz, La La Land, et al. The editing was crisp, and I wasn't bored watching the movie. The movie was a bit predictable, but I have no problems with a movie being predictable if it's done with terrific direction, great style, a stellar cast, and great musical numbers. It's not as good as the Animated film, but BATB live action is still really really good. Potentially Great IMO.

I can't quite get it to A+(movies that truly take my breathe away), but I can get it to a strong A.

A(4.7/5.0)

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 3

Really good film. I loved the performances (Watson was great and she has a sweet voice). Dan killed it as the Beast and I genuinely felt for him. LeFou and Gaston were fantastic, and I loved the not-so-subtle hints that LeFou loved Gatson. Production design is absolutely stellar. The story does have more depth than the animated version, and the addition of the mother really did help. Although I didn't care for some of the new songs, the songs were overall good. Editing was a little choppy here and there, but that's fine. I have to say the ending was emotional, especially when the objects turned into antiques. Beautifully done.

A-

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Pretty much. 

There's that moment when Belle proclaims that her favorite book is Romeo & Juliet and that tells you all you need to know about her, Watson's portrayal of her, and the movie as a whole. It's not that she's wrong, exactly, but could her pick possibly be any more banal than that? The movie risks nothing, and accomplishes nothing. It just takes up space. 

Spot-on. A waste of time.

I enjoyed it a lot and so did all the people in my theatre. I think the complaints about it being too much like the original are legit though. It not a shot-of-shot remake, but it is very close. 

I wish there would have been more Josh and Luke. Their dynamic was great. Loved all the actors, but they were my favorite. I thought Emma did a fine job.

A few gripes though:

- Why is there a debate about a girl learning to read in the 1700's in France? Most women then could read.

- Shouldn't the Beast recognize Gaston if he is the Prince and Gaston was one of his top generals?

- How can the Beast fit into his old clothes?

Not quite my tempo.  I found it to be kind of slow and there was way too much singing.  I realize this is what people love about it but for me, it just takes me out of the film when people break into song for absolutely no reason.  I did love Emma Watson in this, she was radiant and beautiful and her voice is lovely.  I did like parts of this, namely the last 20 minutes.  But it's just not quite what I enjoy.  I originally gave it a 6, I'll up it to a 6.5, or a B-

• Like 1

This was never, ever going to match the original animated Disney classic, and of course, the final product doesn't. In a way, it's kinda weird that this doesn't come close to the original considering it's very much a faithful remake of it despite running about 45 minutes longer (Bill Condon and the writers add enough embellishments to ensure that the notions this would be little more than a shot-by-shot remake of the 1991 film are mostly unfounded). Something is missing. Maybe it's the little nuances that were in the animated film that don't fully translate to the live-action realm. That said, it's a testament to how strong the original movie is that many of its qualities still shine through in this admittedly inferior remake. The songs are as terrific today as they were back then, and the story is still a delight. As one can expect, the technical credits perfectly bring the animated movie's settings and costumes to life, and the visual effects on the household characters astound ("Be Our Guest" especially is a treat). Emma Watson makes for a highly appealing Belle: she doesn't have the strongest singing voice out there, but she looks the part and makes the character just as lively in live-action as she was in cartoon form. Dan Stevens is also solid, creating a menacing and sympathetic Beast without letting the CGI he's encompassed in do the work. Strong work from Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, Ewan McGregor, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson, Stanley Tucci, Audra McDonald, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw also adds to the experience. Walking away with the movie completely, though, is Luke Evans, who gives Gaston the kind of charismatically sinister portrayal the character calls out for. This will never replace the animated movie as being the definitive version, but with everything it has going for it, I'm more than happy with this existing. B+

• Like 1

Holy crap!  I had no idea Ewan McGregor was Lumiere! Next to Emma Watson, he was certainly the highlight of the film for me.  Incredible performance from him. 

• Like 1

Ewan is a legit singer. This and Moulin Rouge, truly great voice and stage presence (even in animated form). Obi Wan movie better happen instead of that Boba Fett crap. 

@Frozen Yeah, the villagers remembering is still confusing to me. I thought they were not real villagers but actually the nobles from the ball at the beginning of the movie. 

Also, the Paris teleportation. Belle remembers Paris of her childhood or make that babyhood. Sure, Jan.

Also, the off hand remark that the Beast's father is to blame for his son's bad temper. Stupid. Having him lose his mother should have been enough. It gives him and Belle a common ground, something to empathize with, while contrasting the ways they coped with the loss (Belle being kind, Beast/Prince being heartless). 

• Like 1