grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Zero stars 😭😭😭

Lol after watching The Post every time I see a Washington Post article I just imagine Tom Hanks screaming at some journalist in a newsroom to bang out the article on a typewriter. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol after watching The Post every time I see a Washington Post article I just imagine Tom Hanks screaming at some journalist in a newsroom to bang out the article on a typewriter. 

Hell, I still think of Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman banging away on their typewriters at the WAPO in "All THe President's Men".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Why would RDJ or any actor for the matter be affected by a box office bomb that currently has a 13% on RT? If this movie was getting great reviews and still bombed I’d understand questioning an actor/actress’s future and even then so much goes into that like marketing, trailers etc But when a movie is getting critically panned, I can’t blame the cast for the movie bombing. People aren’t going to waste money buying tickets to bad movies. 

You cant act like the actors of a movie are seperated from the reviews of a movie. Also reviews are just the nail to the coffin there - despite the focus on RDJ in every single bit of marketing of this movie the presales are atrocious. Trailer views are good (most comments are about RDJ) and social media runs pretty nice, but seems like not even a fraction of his fans wants to see him in this movie.

I predict in lik one week he is gonna start shittalk the movie to distance himself from it.

Don't think RDJ has anything lined up after this so after this tanks he'll probably consider his next projects more carefully (or at least will hopefully avoid going down the Johnny Depp route of grabbing big paychecks only until he has officially reached "irrelevant" status, though this is looking to be such a bust he might not get such a good deal anymore, especially now that he's done with Marvel).

Edited by filmlover

4 hours ago, aladdino said:

cats = budget 95m / gross 70m = loss 25m

doolittle = buget 175m / gross 200m = wins 25m

i know it doesnt work like that but it should??

It get quite more complicated, it is even possible for an high expectation / low box office movie to loose more of it's budget, because often total marketing cost is bigger than the movie budget, maybe not for the 175-300m budget movie with some franchise power and good product placement, but for the 75-100m movie it can often happen.

Take an very famous complete flop like Stealth:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl4235429377/

76.932m WW on a 131.935m net budget.

theatrical revenues

Domestic: $16.284M

intl: $18.319M

World Theatrical release cost: $98.8M

Net theatrical revenues: $64M, they are now nearly $200M in the red.

they made post theatrical

45.532 in domestic home ent, $34M INTL, about 40.8M on TV, 1.1M on airlines, add a reasonable $10M overhead, 3.05M gross bonus, 4.5M in residual, overall the studio lost $125M on it.

How do you know:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl341673473/

48.7M at the WW box office on a 111.09M net budget achieved to loose $113.9M, more than it's budget and that without any of the star's having first dollar gross going on and a standard toward dumping it even release cost under 75M WW.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

If you go in and read the reviews, RDJ performance is being singled out for a reason why the film is so bad. 

But, yeah, this is embarrassing for RDJ but not a career breaker.

I repeat:he needs to step away from the big flashy roles and do some really serious roles. It's not like he is not set up for life as far as money goes.

It would be hard for RDJ to find serious roles.  RDJ said that he would not star in lower-budget indie films.  (Most actors have hard time to find serious roles in studio films, unless your name is called Leonardo DiCaprio )

Netflix would be a perfect fit for RDJ career. 

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Don't think RDJ has anything lined up after this so after this tanks he'll probably consider his next projects more carefully (or at least will hopefully avoid going down the Johnny Depp route of grabbing big paychecks only until he has officially reached "irrelevant" status, though this is looking to be such a bust he might not get such a good deal anymore, especially now that he's done with Marvel).

He`s doing Sherlock 3 next

• Haha 1

i would not worry about RDJ. he is talented and will find something good. No comparison with Depp at all who took a long time to neuter his career and plus his craziness off screen as well. I agree with doing a Netflix movie or even a series until he gets a next big movie. Working with great directors is the way to go.  

RDJ's actual quote about indies. he isn't wrong. his take on them is much more realsitic and much less romanticized:

“No,” said Downey Jr. “Because they’re exhausting and sometimes they suck and then you just go, ‘What was I thinking?’

“But I’m interested in doing all different kinds of movies. Sometimes the little movies are the ones that wind up taking the most out of you because they’re like, ‘Hey, man, we’re just running a couple of days behind. Do you think you can stay through your birthday and then come back on the fourth of July? And, by the way, like the crew – can you pay for the craft services?’”

“‘And, oh, by the way, man, when we go to Sundance, it’s like, can we just sit you in a chair and you can sell this for six days in a row so that we’ll make 180 bucks when it opens in one theater? God, this is so powerful what we’re doing. What do you think of the movie? You saw it last night?’”

“I thought it’s mediocre.”

“‘Yeah, isn’t it the greatest? Man, everyone’s an artist here.’”

“Actually, most of you are kind of inexperienced and lame.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/01/robert-downey-jr-indie-movies-exhausting-and-sometimes-suck

Edited by Valonqar