grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm in for this on Tuesday, but I am gonna laugh if this exceeds expectations through family viewing this weekend:)...

I am all in for Bad Boys 3 doing well (loved the 1st 2, and may have to put 3 on my schedule:)...

People said the same thing about CATS exceeding expectations and that didn't happen. Name the last big budget delayed films with such rancid reviews that exceeded expectations?

I wish I was a fly on the wall  hearing the discussions at the offices of A24 when they talk about the MCU and Robert Downey Junior.

The contempt, the hubris, the condescension, the Scorcese oral sessions, it must be glorious.

27 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People said the same thing about CATS exceeding expectations and that didn't happen. Name the last big budget delayed films with such rancid reviews that exceeded expectations?

Venom...although not sure that was delayed...

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

And he'll cry in his bed made of money.

God, I hope that RDJ actually still cares about doing good work instead of just making money.

I HATE the Libarace "I'll cry all the way to the bank" ethic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And what expectation are we talking about, anyway?

I am sure, once they saw the rough cut, that any high expectations that the Universal execs had for this film went out the window. Everything ab out the way they handled this film screams they knew they had a huge turkey on their hands.

And even if exceeds the current low OW expectations, it will still lose a huge amount of money for Universal. It cost at least 175 Million (not clear if that includes the expensive reshoots) which means a 350 Million break even point. Universal wil lbe lucky if they can keep the osses down to the 100 Million level.

And, once again we have people talking about a film's box office without taking the cost of a film into consideration, which drives me crazy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

his quote wasn't about that really. he's saying that many of these movies are amateurish at best and big waste of time. You make them and then wonder why you did it. you miss your kid's birthday due to commitment and then nobody even sees what you did and quality isn't there either. That you don't get paid but often have to fork out cash for catering, etc is just part of the package. he's right in that indies are too associated with quality when that isn't the case. they have more duds than we know but nobody talks about them. we only hear about indie hits. 

This is well said, though:

"I don't mind him not wanting the play in dark small dramas but pick better big budget stuff than freaking Dolittle. " @Zakiyyah6

:bravo:

re:Evans. Eh, I wouldn't call him the paragon of great taste just yet. KO was a good judgement on his part but lets not forget that pretty much everything he starred in since becoming Cap was a dud including his directorial debut. His best movie was Snowpiercer which got strong reviews but tanked at the boxoffice. in between MCU, he starred in 2 shitty romcoms and a shitty faith based movie.  I hope for the best but his resume is a mixed bag.

I would argue that Knives Out is a far superior film than Snowpiercer, but I feel like the internet would...for lack of a better term...be knives out when sharing that opinion.

Edited by ThePhasmid

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

RT actually increased significantly, from 12% to 14% (an increase of 17 percent).

Yeah, like going from 12 to 14 percent is going to make any real difference.

If you are trying to "stan" for this film, you will have to do a lot better then that.

It's an unmitigated debacle.period.

Edited by dudalb

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dolittle-box-office-robert-downey-jr-1203468334/

Pretty much sums it up.

That Downey had so much creative input into the movie is going to make it hard for him to distance himself from it. He can't play the "Just an actor trying to do his best with weak material" card.

No doubt, he is going to have pick his next few projects very carefully.

And I am really anxious to hear the details about the making of this debacle. Going to be a lot more entertaining then the film itself. It already smacks,from the stories that are out there. of being one of the classic "bad shoots" of Hollywood history.

Edited by dudalb

17 hours ago, Coldbird said:

You cant act like the actors of a movie are seperated from the reviews of a movie. Also reviews are just the nail to the coffin there - despite the focus on RDJ in every single bit of marketing of this movie the presales are atrocious. Trailer views are good (most comments are about RDJ) and social media runs pretty nice, but seems like not even a fraction of his fans wants to see him in this movie.

I predict in lik one week he is gonna start shittalk the movie to distance himself from it.

That is going to be hard to do, since he was heavily involved in the production and had a lot of creative input.

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

His best movie was Snowpiercer which got strong reviews but tanked at the boxoffice

Snowpiercer did very well in is natural market (South Korea-France), 86m for a French/Czech/South Korea without any studio involved in distribution is probably even on quite good side.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

RDJ's actual quote about indies. he isn't wrong. his take on them is much more realsitic and much less romanticized:

“No,” said Downey Jr. “Because they’re exhausting and sometimes they suck and then you just go, ‘What was I thinking?’

“But I’m interested in doing all different kinds of movies. Sometimes the little movies are the ones that wind up taking the most out of you because they’re like, ‘Hey, man, we’re just running a couple of days behind. Do you think you can stay through your birthday and then come back on the fourth of July? And, by the way, like the crew – can you pay for the craft services?’”

Is  there many western adult that do not work on their birthday ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Venom...although not sure that was delayed...

Venom didn't have 12-14% on Rotten Tomatoes. Venom had the perfect lead casting coupled with the massive popularity of the character behind it. Nobody gives a shit about the Dolittle character in the year 2020.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

that puts things into perspective. It had 40M budget before P&A so it at least broke even. Oh now I see it was directed by Bong. :)

More than doubled it's budget at the box office with direct to video/netflix deal in some major market like the USA, probably made good money overall and probably low marketing spending in almost all markets.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Venom didn't have 12-14% on Rotten Tomatoes. Venom had the perfect lead casting coupled with the massive popularity of the character behind. Nobody gives a shit about the Dolittle character in the year 2020.

I think you could make a success of a Dolittle movie, but it would have to be a really good movie, not a clusterf*** like this film apparently is.

BTW I think that SONY has a tough sell with the "Mobius" movie, because Mobius is a grade B Spidey villain who only the hard core Spidey fans care about, as opposed to the incredibly popularity of Venom.